ZBrushCentral

Ubisoft's Power-Up Heroes - Zbrush Art

Hi all,

I had the pleasure to work on the really cool fighting game for Kinect “Power-Up Heroes”.

We had to create Super Hero characters that would fit with the Microsoft Avatar constraints and still look really cool.
It was a great experience and gave me a chance to be really creative.
I was given the approval to show some of the work I did.

The first one is the Lava female character. The male was already done so the goal was to try and create a more feminine version of the same concept but keeping the lava aggressive style.

The second one, the cybernetic guy was a great challenge since we never got a final concept for it. I used polypaint to draw patterns on the body until we found a armor design that would work (his back and arms open to release miniguns and rocket launchers). It was great to conceptualize directly in 3D and be able to see it come to live.

We had about 2 weeks to get each one done so there wasn’t much room for re-design.
Finally a prop I did for the Shaman character!

I’ll see if I can grab the other character artist’s work in here since there are some really impressive sculpts done for that game!

Attachments

6255691225_fba2a75bb7_b.jpg

6256221650_3356bc812c_b.jpg

6256221506_558c1d4f1b_b.jpg

6256220252_fd4a63567d_b.jpg

6255690011_66efaaa574_b.jpg

6255690815_e74aaf6354_b.jpg

6255711739_3848e05dde_b.jpg

oh that’s a kinetic fighting game! interesting !
Is there u in that video ? good job
I like the characters !!

nice job

epic job. Thanks for sharing :slight_smile:

The Female Lava character is quite a hottie!
:wink:
Great female attitude

yeah, maybe a bit to hot for my taste;)

Hi guys,
Joining Luis in this thread to post more stuff.

There is a multitude of suits to unlock in the game and all come with unique powers.
They were all 100% sculpted in Zbrush. There are also 4 extra suits to unlock in the game but I will not spoil the surprise!

The big challenge of this projet was to try and find cool iconic design for supersuits, while not going to town with the silhouette. Please keep in mind these are Microsoft avatars which come with a 4000 tris max polycount and more importantly a “volume template” that your silhouette has to fit in.
Credits:
Concept art: Jordan Ratzlaff & Chen-Yu Shen
Modeling and texturing: Zhao Fei, Luis Antonio, Raphael Boyon

exo.jpg

cosmic.jpg

lava.jpg

malign.jpg

mentalist.jpg

necro.jpg

ninja.jpg

shaman.jpg

volta.jpg

Intro movie screenshot
Made with the game characters in engine

Credits:
Animation: Mike Bisson
Editing: Hugo Lamarre

intro.jpg

very nice little character…

Love the look of these characters! really nice job man!!!:+1:

This looks great, especially the lava texture.How has this been done, those lava veins looks fantastic !

Thanks guys!
The lava guy was hand sculpted using trim dynamic, hpolish and some dam standard
Nothing crazy :slight_smile:

Hehe, I rather meant the colour texture.I am assigned to do something simliar and beeing quite new to the scultping/zBrush workflow (hey, only ten years after Z appeared, thats a record for me :smiley: ), and I currently struggle a bit with painting the lava veins between the hard rock surfaces :D.

Well we tried multiple approaches but the most successful one was as always the most simple: hand painting orange red and yellow hues in the diffuse and glow map. Gather some reference and I’m sure you will succeed!

Thanks for the kind answer, I will work it out :smiley: