ZBrushCentral

Carver's Sketchbook (tutorial added Pg. 4)

BPR_Renderfinal.jpg

Greetings all. I seldom post (shame on me), but scour this site daily. When the new update arrived, I decided to really try to get my arms around the updated rendering options. There is so much to learn, let alone understand. I pulled this sculpt out of mothballs to put my feet to the fire and thought I would share. There are still elements that I am trying to tie together, but I am fairly happy with these results as a starting point. I am trying to do it all in Zbrush before I scamper back to Photoshop and have at it like I usually do. I want to put more atmospheric density in there, so any pointers will be greatly appreciated.

Here are some shots of the main model.

Dogthing_clayrender_05.jpgDogthing_clayrender_01.jpgDogthing_clayrender_02.jpgDogthing_clayrender_03.jpgDogthing_clayrender_04.jpg

In the movie, we really only see it from one side, so I had a little fun on the reverse.

As always, comments and crits are welcomed.

CarverBPR_Renderfinal.jpg

Attachments

BPR_Renderfinal.jpg

Dogthing_clayrender_01.jpg

Dogthing_clayrender_02.jpg

Dogthing_clayrender_03.jpg

Dogthing_clayrender_04.jpg

Dogthing_clayrender_05.jpg

BPR_Renderfinal.jpg

aaaaa kill it…:+1:

Dogthing_Update01.jpg

I picked a new angle and have been fiddling like Nero. I got some nice translucence with the lightcap and skin shader 4. Still fighting the shadows in the render.

Attachments

Dogthing_Update01.jpg

great first step results!!! :+1: looking forward to your next :slight_smile:

very cool great sculpts

Thanks for commenting guys. Sometimes it is like pulling teeth to get a response. Thank you for taking the time. You all rock by the way.

Derek

Manthing_Render.jpgBeen working on this for a while. Still have some background elements to add.

Manthing_clay01.jpgManthing_clay02.jpgManthing_clay03.jpgManthing_clay04.jpg

Attachments

Manthing_clay02.jpg

Manthing_clay03.jpg

Manthing_clay04.jpg

swamp brawl comp.jpg

This is a paint over I did a while ago. The Manthing and the critter I call the Mucker, and the muddy ground were modeled and polypainted in Zbrush, the background and water were added in Photoshop.

mucker-04-lurking01.jpg

This is another image I did of the Mucker. As before, the critter is Zbrush, and the rest is painted in Photoshop.

SWAMP SHARK

I did the design sculpt for “Swamp Shark”, the SCYFY channel “Classic”…Ahem… This is the original version, which was really simplified due to budgetary constraints. The upper detail is all that remains.
SwampShark_BPR_Render01.jpgSwampShark_BPR_Render02.jpgSwampShark_BPR_Render03.jpg
All of the Barnacle detail was removed. I created a Barnacle brush for this, and it works pretty good. I will upload it if anyone wants it.
SwampShark_BPR_Render05.jpg

Some other things…

08_Mr. Grey.jpg

This is a rejected concept for “Area 51”, as yet unreleased. They went with a really simplified version along these lines. I will post more images from this project once it is released. I did all of the Alien and Alien tech design on this show, and created a lot of physical props as well.

Insectus.jpg

This is just for fun.

Thanks for looking!SwampShark_BPR_Render04.jpg

Attachments

SwampShark_BPR_Render01.jpg

SwampShark_BPR_Render02.jpg

SwampShark_BPR_Render03.jpg

SwampShark_BPR_Render04.jpg

SwampShark_BPR_Render05.jpg

Fascinating work … very unique creatures! I can’t wait to see more. :smiley:

Chalkman,

Thank you for your comment. I wish i could take credit for the dogthing and Manthing. These are just my takes on the works of others. Manthing is a Marvel Comics character. His comics weren’t all that popular, but his look is so iconic for me. When I had chicken pox as a kid, my Dad brought me home a bag full of comics. Eerie and Uncle Creepy, and some other rather macabre stuff. The only mainstream comic in the lot was an issue on Manthing and he/it has been with me ever since. I guess he is my gay cowboy. I just can’t quit him. HAH!

Swamp Shark meets Buffy the Shark Slayer!
Too bad the shots of your creature were so blurred up in the flic.

Mikala,

That is putting it mildly. It wasn’t so much blurred as erased. There wasn’t enough in the budget to sculpt all of that detail on the full sized shark head, so the wiped it from the digital model as well…That’s the way it goes!

I would love to have the barnacle brush, very kind of you to share! :lol:

Barnacle brush image.jpg

Barnacle brushes I used on the Swamp Shark sculpt. They are very basic drag rec setups. They work really well if your poly count is cranked up. Enjoy.

Barnacle_Brushes.zip (296 KB)Barnacle_Brushes.zip (296 KB)

Attachments

Barnacle brush image.jpg

Thank you so much! :lol: Got to build me a boat or a shark now!

Eerie and Creepy magazines were amazing. My favourite stories were El Cid…the ink work and the dynamism of the bodyforms was stunning.

Bridgestone Performance Balls

Football_ScreenGrab02.jpg
Football_ScreenGrab01.jpg

Hey all, This is the project I worked on back in November that really raised my game (no pun intended). Bridgestone Tires decided to have a little fun for their new ad campaign

http://www.youtube.com/user/BridgestoneSuperBowl/videos.

I was originally hired to physically carve the balls in urethane foam.Each ball had a corresponding tread pattern from Bridgestone’s high performance tires. There was 4 weeks of fabrication and finishing allotted in the shooting schedule. Though I still love carving, there was just no way to carve five prototype balls,with tread patterns diving toward the poles of the balls. If you have ever had to do a layout on a round or roundish object, then you know what a nightmare it can be. The 4 weeks included all of the molding, casting, and painting, along with all of the art direction changes that go with any job. I convinced my employer, Chris Hyde at Global Entertainment Industries, to do the whole job digitally, and produce the parts on a 3D printer.

fOOTBALL_02.jpg
fOOTBALL_01.jpg

I modeled each ball in Zbrush, and used GoZ to Maya and Photoshop, Dynamesh (life saver on this job), Polypaint, UV Master, Decimation Master, and 3D Print exporter. I used Rhino for post processing of the .STL files. Everything was printed on A Zcorp 620 full color printer. Yeah, yeah, I know, the surface is pitted and rough…But not on a full sized ball. A bit of light sanding, some touch up paint, and some logos…Viola!

Pattern and lay out.

POTENZA S04 POLE POSITION 22550R18.jpg
Football_texture_1qtr_UV_Morph.jpg
Football_texture_1qtr.jpg

STL files.

fOOTBALL_04_STL_file.jpg
fOOTBALL_03_STL_file.jpg
Rhino_exportMesh_NewDynamesh.jpg

Attachments

fOOTBALL_02.jpg

fOOTBALL_01.jpg

Rhino_exportMesh_NewDynamesh.jpg

Football_texture_1qtr_UV_Morph.jpg

Football_texture_1qtr.jpg

Basketball

Basketball_screenCap.jpgBasketball_01.jpgBasketball_02.jpgQrtr_section_Morph_UV01.jpgBasketball_20111129_New seams.jpgBasketball_03_STLfile.jpg

Attachments

Basketball_02.jpg

Basketball_03_STLfile.jpg

Basketball_20111129_New seams.jpg

Qrtr_section_Morph_UV01.jpg

Basketball_01.jpg

The Bowling Ball

screen grabs

BowlingBall_screenGrab01.jpg
Bowlingball_ScreenGrab02.jpg
bowlingall_screenCap.jpg

Model