Senior Member User Gallery

Default Morphing UVs Tutorial

A day late, but who's counting. The following is a brief outline of the workflow I used on this ad campaign. There are many ways to achieve the same result, and I am sure more efficient, but this method got me out from under the gun. I would also like to point out that I didn't pull these designs out of my @SS. I was working under the guidance of award winning Production Designer Jeffrey Beecroft, and Art Director Sebastian Schneider. Sebastian produced concept art in Cinema 4D that I then had to match or surpass and beat a tight deadline. Derek Pendleton aka Carver If anyone would like to see how to prep a Zbrush model for printing, and the workflow I used to finish this project. Let me know and I will put something together next week. Thanks to all
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CLEANUPp9.jpg 
Views:	301 
Size:	309.4 KB 
ID:	294348  

Wow! Thanks a lot for the breakdown. Much appreciated.

Member User Gallery

Hi carver, awesome work!!

I for one would love to see your workflow 3d printing prep.

I'm having a tough time at the moment with a model I'm working on, I need to export as .stl but when I do its a huge file, it needs to be under 30mb for it to be silicone printed and for it to keep its dimension.

Thank you so much for giving us a tutorial on your great work mate!
    really great workflow how you did that mate! Thanks for the effort you put in!
    Looking forward seeing more from you carver,
    Happy sculpting,
    - Kenny :-)
    Kenny Carmody
    Student for 3D-Modelling and 3D-Sculpting
    ShowReel May2012 -
    http://vimeo.com/42027953
    CGHub Portfolio - http://kc-production.cghub.com/
    Blogfolio -
    http://kennycarmody-art.blogspot.de/

Thumbs up

Hi Carver, Sorry for the late response to your well deserved Top Row! And thanks a million for sharing your workflow! All the best, David
    And so we came forth and once again beheld the stars.
    - William Styron, Darkness Visible

My New Photography Website:

Http://davidchalkgraphics.com

I used to do a bit of product design and hard surface work a long long time ago and well I just love seeing this sort of thing pop up in ZBrush. Congrats on a successful production path as the end results are spot on. A great breakdown too, so thanks for that. Its good to see you work with different areas both organic and product. Keep up the awesome work.

Arran
    http://www.arranlewis.co.uk

I let go of the rope once, but now, I am climbing like a monkey.

Default More thanks

danko75 - WOW! Praise from Caesar...Your work is an inspiration to us all. Thanks.

3Point14 - Yeah, we should get royalties!

jemenna - Thank you!

Scythe - Thank you, I hope like the tutorial. A bit more to come.

KC-Production - I couldn't agree more. Zbrush is King.

SolidSnakexxx - Thank you, sir. It is nice to see Zbrush used in the traditional Bronze sculpting world. Your stuff is tops!

nj0r0g3 - There are no stupid questions. The football was rendered with the Gorilla matcap. The others were rendered with soft plastic filled with 100% black. I used a custom matcap in The STL renders, following Ryan Kingslien's tutorial. Check it out,
    http://www.youtube.com/user/rkingsli.../4/nIPpD21z3d8. None of my direct files were used in a digital way, as far as I know. I did provide the VFX crew with everything I had, but have no idea what was used or where.

Likesyrup - Thank you. Zbrush is the best.

jameaterblues - Thank you!

MentalFrog - Thanks. Printing items this big in elastomers for the commercial was a budget buster. It was discussed, but shot down due to cost and build platform restrictions. Woulda looked sweet though!

rudymassar - Thank you. Your work is superb.

spacemonkeydr - Thanks! It is really cool to see the designs come to life.

Ignorami - I hope you like the tutorial.

IvanKocic - Thanks!

Bigbear-Inkpen - Thanks!

Pi(x)el - I get that all the time! Thanks.

zber2 - You are welcome, sir. I hope it is helpful.

jonboywalton82 - I will get back to you soon. Busy weekend.

KC-Production - (pt 2) Thanks again!

chalkman - No worries, man. From the looks of your thread, you have your hands full keeping up with your own responses! As always, thanks for your kind words.

Arran - Thank you, and for your own guidance and spirit of sharing. The funny thing is, product design is not really my bailiwick. I am from the old " Hey, go make this, and fast!" school of sculpting and carving for the entertainment industry. Insane schedules with (usually) slim budgets...You either became adept at doing the most with the least, the fastest, or you were out on your ear. Their motto has always been, " It only has to look good to the camera, kid."

Hard surface one day,

The barnacled hull of the Fling Dutchman the next

Usually one of dozens of sculptors doing long days of back breaking work. It was a lot of fun along the way, but those days are behind me now. Thank god for Zbrush!

I think I got everyone in there. If I overlooked your comment, I apologize, and will thank you now. This community is great. I hope my contributions are as helpful as I have found from the rest of you. Keep sharing everyone!

Member User Gallery

Nice tutorial of your workflow! Id also like to see how you prepped it for printing as well!
    Last edited by Menty; 02-12-12 at 12:39 PM.

Member User Gallery

Default nice breakdown ....

.... of your process, great work...

awesome, that's very inspiring... i wish to move towards setting my skills and portfolio for the advertising industries as well someday.
    ---Available for freelance---

www.villadome-cg.com
    My sculpting sketchbook

New Member User Gallery

cool lesson , thanks
    [url]http://12f6.com/[/url] :rolleyes:

Default Ol' Scratch

I needed a palette cleanser before doing the tutorial on how I prep files for printing. I will get in it soon.

Ol' Scratch

Very well done! Charlie Daniels would be proud.
    Deviantart

An old dog, learning some new tricks.
    Finished works
    Push the button, Frank!

Joel: I can't do it... this just isn't working. I don't know how Shatner does it every week!
    Crowe T. Robot: I don't know why he does it, or who lets him do it!

Thumbs up

Hi Carver,

Another wonderful piece! I love his expression and the great use of fiber mesh! Bravo! All the best, David
    And so we came forth and once again beheld the stars.
    - William Styron, Darkness Visible

My New Photography Website:

Http://davidchalkgraphics.com

Default Fibermesh Parfait

Hey all,

I haven't posted in a while. Luckily, I have been very busy. I started this Cassowary back in June when I was beta testing 4R4. I had to put her aside, only working on her here and there. I wanted to see how far I could push fibermesh assets, and after much noodling, I settled on this. Everything was created in Zbrush. Everything was rendered using BPR, and composited in Photoshop. I went OLD old school and created this as a forced perspective set. I created multiple layers of fibermesh plants and scaled each level to (hopefully) create the illusion of more depth in the background.

As usual, comments and crits are welcome.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast