ZBrushCentral

Demon cat

The snakehook brush is a wonderful thing, gotta pull them teeth out just a bit more.

A bit more definition around and to the teeth.

Attachments

DEMON CAT2.jpg

TEETH 3.jpg

Don’t be afraid to subdivide. :slight_smile:

Oh, I’m NOT afraid but my PC may not be up to the task at hand.
Crashed a couple times. Had to decimate the model to 50%. Still at it though.DEMON_CAT_HEAD_UPDATE.jpg

11Mil.jpg

Attachments

DEMON_CAT2.jpg

Still around 11 Million polys.
DEMON_CAT_HEAD_UPDATE5.jpg

yikes…

gonna hear this alot so lets get it out of the way.
s
tart lower man… that should not be where something is at at 11million polys…

work smaller get your form right then worry about detail and color… otherwise you’re gonna have something that looks like that but takes up 11 million polys…

you should have to go above 100k until you’re at the point you’re putting pores into somethings skin if you take your time

Yeah, yikes. I don’t have enough of a system to model at those poly levels. Decimation Master is great
I’m going to be “reworking” all of my meshes.:slight_smile:

It looks like you are ultra low poly. But your UI screen shot shows high poly count.

Something in your basic technique is off.

I think you misread dapharmers post.

any system with 2gb of ram can work at up to ~4mil polys without meltdown… you yourself said your model had over 11 million polys

you should not yet be working on a model with 11 million polys

you need to learn how to make your forms first at the lower poly levels… decimation master is not the answer you are looking for and will only make you a worse artist if you rely on it to try to get detail… you need to remember what decimation master does… it decimates… if you want an example decimate something and turn on polyfram… all your polygon edges will be all over the place… not in any shape or form good for modeling… just for rendering or printing.

you need to start really low… use a simple sphere or cube… go no higher then 20 thousand polys… period… just do what you can up until that point making small adjustments and getting your form right before even considering the detail…

you want to see the clear difference here… go look at the sanilik scout thread… that’s under 15 THOUSAND polys. if that’s possible at 15 THOUSAND ask yourself why you need to be at 11 million. The only reason is because you probably assume more poly’s = more detail but it doesnt always… if the lower poly version of your model doesnt have the detail there… the higher poly version will either end up looking like melted wax or just be a noisy mess…

not trying to be harsh man but your work right now has nothign to do with the power of your system or number of polys you can squeeze into something… my system has 4gb ram… no video card… and an aging core duo cpu… none of my latest models go over 1mil polys per subtool if i can help it and i dont get to that point until i need to add wrinkles and pores. even after that decimation would only be a last ditch effort if i wanted to lower the number of polys before trying to retopology the model.

you gotta pace yourself and worry about form first otherwise you will hit a brick wall with what you can produce faster then you’d believe. it’s something everyone needs to go through when starting off with zbrush…

I have 2.5 GB’s of ram on a P4 3.0 GHz…
But anyways after a bit I got the poly count down to a “more reasonable level”
26158_POLY_CAT.jpg3548_POLY_CAT.jpg1528_POLY_CAT.jpg

its good that you’re getting the numbers down but once again dont rely completely on decimation master or you’ll miss out on the point of “modeling” something. you’ll put effort into it then lose detail and need to do double…triple the work

i dont want this to come off as looking like threadjacking but i want to show you an example… i took 10 minutes to throw this together… the poly count at the end was ~80k. 10 minutes… but i took my time planning the facial layout… only when i was happy with the volume did i divide past 1k. then i laid in more details, ridges, eye sockets, start of nose… only then did i divide again… next was finer details using damien standard to bring out skin folds and lines … then i divided to last subdiv… then laid down texturing… made sure things were uniform … and only then… after the detailing was already on the model… did i start to paint anything and worry about that at all.

TESTDEMONDOG83kPOLYS.jpg

10 minutes… just want you to see the difference that starting low and building your way up makes… and this is with me not trying or caring about the subject matter i was toying with… i just had a plan for it in my head and followed it… that’s usually the best way to begin and end a model… have the idea… visualize it… and go for it… play with the form until soemthing works for you… and build on it…

most importantly no shortcuts :slight_smile: … learn it right and you’ll pick up on it far faster then trying to learn it fast… zbrush is fun but can be frustrating if you just dive through things…
wax
on wax off danielson :stuck_out_tongue:

and ps again please dont take this as me be disparaging in any way… we all got to start somewhere and the point is that you keep trying… take my advice or leave it :slight_smile:

Thank you for your comments. I’ve played with 3D for the past 12 years. New user of ZBrush 4. End result is what we are all seeking. Finished piece or pieces. I modeled and painted and textured my way to what I felt was a pleasing image. Ignoring polycount along the way. Shame on me? :bulb: The software has been designed to “free the artist” of polygon worry :+1: :slight_smile: