ZBrushCentral

ZBrush 4R2 Beta Testing By: Bobby Bath

I had some time to work with Pixologic’s new Zbrush 4 R2, fantastic fun! I really enjoyed using the new Dynamesh function, along with improved Noise Maker & the big rendering enhancements.

I didn’t play too much with the HDRI, but dabbled mainly in the Lightcap & Matcap functions. I created two creatures due to time constraints, but R2’s Dynamesh really sped things up since I didn’t have to worry about topology :cool:

I tried to have fun with rendering the first creature, and went for a Vray type grayscale render for the second. All the images are started from a single simple sphere & rendered / post done entirely in Zbrush 4 R2’s BPR Filters. Well, here they are, enjoy :)!

I look forward to using many of the other features embedded within R2, The new curve brushes will really be loads of fun. Also, used the wax modifier quite a bit!

Thanx,
bobby

Attachments

final_creatureA.jpg

creatureB_c.jpg

r2_cB_sO_s.jpg

dynamesh1.jpg

crea_a.jpg

crea_b.jpg

Beautiful sculpting.
Renders are great. :+1:

impressive…

Very nice darkvir.
Could you anwser some questions?

• how in performance od dyna mesh>
  • what wax modifier do?
  • what is new in noise generator?
    Thanks. And again great sculpt

> michalis & brett: thx guys!

>Jose: performance on dynamesh has been quite good, I did all my sculpting on a 2 year old Macbook Pro.

• Wax modifier is a material attribute that… well, makes things ‘‘waxy’’ :stuck_out_tongue: It has a number of controls for a warm or cold look to it. The great thing is, you can sculpt with it on, it has a live preview setting.
  • The noise generator has much more controls & options this time around, they all work really well with dynamesh.

How did you set up the clay renders? I’m not having much success with the lightcap. Could be the material too.

Hey womball,

I approached the clay renders with mainly a light cap and material setup. I just had a single light in the scene. I then used the light cap to create a couple of lights that would light the model without too much specular. I then went to the Material palette and tuned the specular & ambient sliders along with trying some different specular curves. I also applied a wax modifier and gave it a cool temperature (adding the wax helps disperse the specular, which is impt to get that clay look). Finally, I went back and forth between the light cap lights and material palette.

Not too complicated, here’s a screen shot of an image I saved while beta sculpting.

light&material.jpg

I really like the clay renders, but the stylised render at the top of the page is the most interesting shot. Can you say anything about your setup for this one?

Sure yusefkerr > I tried to have a bit of fun with the top render. The setup was all Lightcap. I created a light that lit the model from the almost dead on, then added a reddish bounce light. The fresnel look is just positioning a blue light behind the model. I also had a low setting for wax as well.

I’ve attached a screen shot of my working file, the arrow points to the lighting on the basic material. Hope that helps.

zr2_a_setup.jpg

Wicked sculpting! I like em.

Great Work! Thanks for the breakdown!

RageNrock & benjaminsmith > Thanks guys :), I wish I could share my Mats and Lightcaps… I just forgot to save them. I’ll recreate them and share when I get some time!

I really love the clay feel. I tried to create a shader similar to this last night, but it didn’t go so well. Could you go into a bit more detail about the lighting and material setup?
My results are either too dark or too washed out :X

@ Alon.Tako > Thanks! It took me some tinkering around, I’ve had a super busy schedule at work recently, but I’ll get around to recreating the shader/lightcap setup shortly (I wish I had just saved the blasted thing the first time!) A key thing to play with is the under the ‘Material Modifier’, I played around with the spec curves quite a bit. But once I recreate the shader, I’ll share it here :slight_smile:

That’d be awesome :slight_smile: Can’t wait.

I’ll get to my sculpting session later today and give it another shot. Hope I have better luck. :slight_smile:

Awesome use of Dynamesh! Love the clay/sketchy feel of the sculpt :+1:

thanks for the screenshot, I havent looked very far into lightcaps yet, so I’m now quite intrigued…

Lightcap is lots of fun, I use it at work quite a bit for presentations and reviews :slight_smile:

I’ve got some bigger models on the go, but have been speed sculpting at lunch here and there. Here are some of em, about 45-60 minutes from spheres.

12-8-11.jpg
12-7-11.jpg
12-6-11.jpg
12-1-11.jpg

11-24-11.jpg

And another lunch crunch using Dynamesh and mainly ‘Dam Standard’ & ‘Magnify’ brushes.

12-21aro-11.jpg

Brilliant work