ZBrushCentral

ZBrush 4R2 Beta Testing By: Rudy Massar

The “Night Watch” is a made up snoring security guard of the “Rijksmuseum” in Amsterdam. The name of this piece refers to the famous Night Watch painting of Rembrandt you find in this museum. The image is inspired by works of Norman Rockwell and Franz Xaver Messerschmidt.

I used GoZ a lot to bring pieces from Maya to ZBrush. The patterns were created using NoiseMaker with custom tileable textures. Designing MatCaps was new to me as well as modifying materials, so I spent quite some time working with LightCaps and materials. This was great fun, fast and really powerful. My goal was to create an image that has a typical global illumination (sun and sky) feel to it, including the low sampling noise you quite often see. I also included a version that uses the standard material and a default light set-up. It’s just one piece for this beta but I hope you like it.

Attachments

rudymassar_nightwatch.jpg

rudymassar_nightwatch_snoring_02.jpg

nightwatch_basicmat.jpg

I really like this Sculpt Awesome! :slight_smile: :+1:

Cool sculpt.One sees the Meeserschmidt Reference;)

Wow rudymassar, just wow.
Doees mesh need uv for this tillable noise feature?

Te gek!!:+1:

awesome !

That’s awesome!

wow. That is sick. Very good detail work!

Fantastic!!.
I can really see the Rockwell influence.

Great sculpt! Great style! Great render!

Wow, thank you all for the compliments, I am truly flattered.

Jose: In my case I used the UV option. You can also choose 2D or 3D, but in my case that would cause a distortion in some directions. In the lower left corner of the NoiseMaker preview window there’s a dot you can click which allow you to use your custom made (tileable)texture.

i was honored to work with you on this beta. This image speak for your talent. Its an amazing and truly breath taking piece. The influences of Rockwell are very present, and for you to capture a master figure painter’s life in a sculpture like that, its truly something outstanding. well done my friend. I look forward to future betas with you

Very Nice style :+1: … Noise maker and lightcaps look amazing… I have to say the Character reminds me a bit of Tom Waits… Especially how that man can exaggerate his face.

Wow, this is just the finest thing I’ve seen in a long time.

Good job.

:+1:

Nice one :+1:

Allways loved this guy Rudy, great work mate!

I am happy to know you all enjoy my character and I appreciate your kind words too.
frameworld your comment makes me speechless. Thank you, and yes I hope we’ll be part of future betas too.
Cheshire Monkey Tom Waits wasn’t part of the reference pictures, but he sure has an interesting face.
Mutte696 Hold on… you know this guy Rudy and you always loved him? We should meet soon Maarten lol. Just messing with you, but seriously, whenever you are in Amsterdam or Rotterdam give me a shout.

I love the fact that I can tell that he has a flask in his jacket pocket.
Nicely done!

I love this one! Not only amazing, but inspiring too. The LightCap and MatCap are fantastic as well. I’ve been enjoying these new enhancments, and can’t help but wonder if you might be willing to either share them, or explain the steps you took to arrive at your final lighting/material. Doesn’t have to be detailed, just some general pointers. If not, don’t worry. Thanks, and again great work! :slight_smile:

bignewf Good observation :slight_smile: First it was just a block in his pocket then Magda came up with the idea to make it a flask. It is a bit more shaped with the cap, but at least it’s recognizable as a flask :slight_smile:
Zeddicus Sure, no problem. Give me some time to set this up.