ZBrushCentral

ZBrush 4R2 Beta Testing By: Jeremy Lanum

ZBrush 4R2 Beta Testing By: Jeremy Lanum

First time being on the beta team and it was really exciting getting to see and test all the new stuff coming out.

Dynamesh is probably what’s going to change most people’s day to day sculpting the most and it already just feels like it was always there. Being able to take a practice head sculpt and turn it into a whole character without having to worry about any of the technical stuff that can get in the way of art and just making a good sculpt was amazing.

This was a practice sculpt that I decided to just take to a full character. Started with just a sphere and Dynamesh. Just about every piece was passed through Dynamesh at some point. The curve brush was also useful for getting easy smooth limbs for the lizard. and even the little stuff like holding ctrl+shift to duplicate a mesh in it’s own subtool made working on this super fun. Everything was created and rendered in R2. The new Wax render and light cap system makes it really easy to get good results without having to deal with an external renderer.

This next piece was a last second sculpt to test out the Curve Tri Fill brush. It made getting multi piece shapes like the hair quick. I’m also using the lightcap system to quickly build up a library of different caps for quick rendering and having the BPR filters set up for each one minimized post process time. All I had to do was resize the image and save.

It’s been a ton of fun helping out. I’m sure you guys will make some really great stuff with this.

Attachments

StudioPunk_2.jpg

StudioPunk_4.jpg

StudioPunk_72.jpg

Lizzard_Clay_F.jpg

Orc_T_F.jpg

BPRFilters_Ff.jpg

Great work Jeremy, love the orc design, charming expression has on the lizard dipping shot!

Love it! Great job!

Beautiful characters - love the coloring too!!:sunglasses:small_orange_diamond:+1:

Really good stuff, lots of emotions!

Did Dynamesh speed up your workflow? If so how much faster do you model? How long did it take you to model any of the above models?

Great work Jeremy! Really like your toonish characters.

I really enjoyed watching you create that lizard on the 4R2 features page. One thing I loved was a bush you were using on the lizards face. It was giving your great edges as well as smoothing the surronding planes. I can’t tell in the video what it was though. Is this a brush you created or downloaded? I can’t seem to find it in the program, so I figured I would as the guy I saw using it. Great stuff :slight_smile:

Great stylization on the top character, Jeremy! (baby Dino?) Love the simplicity of the design also :slight_smile:

@ItbeRufus: I think I know which one you mean. It’s the Zeoyn Cutter brush which you can get here: http://www.artofjose.com/ under Goodies > Zbrush.

@themightyflog: It’s hard to give an exact amount of time, but the areas it really helps out in is blocking out a new sculpt, anything that needs pieces cut out are a ton easier, and creating new subtools. Plus it gets rid of the headache of having to worry about good sculpting topology especially if you’re using the clip brushes a lot. The whole Orc scene I worked on over a long period so I don’t really remember how long it took, but the punk guy was a last second need something to render test thing and I pounded it out from a sphere in about 2 hours or so, the big time savers being Dynamesh, the CurveTriFill brush and Insert Hand brush.

you know, I just revisited this randomly. love it. just wanted to let you know that last sculpt made me grin :slight_smile:
because I got the idea that he was making the expression due to being posted on a stick like that. was funny to me.
anyway awesome stuff.

very cool great sculpts :+1:

Very nice facial features and expressions. Great texture work as well. Could you share the materials used in these renders?

Would like to see more of the green character please!:cool: