ZBrushCentral

ZBrush 4R2 Beta Testing By: Matthew Kean

Modeling
(Rendering is below)

I owe zbrush a lot.

With the release of R2, I can say with almost no doubt that not only has the origin been reached,
but clay will leave envious of more than an undo button.

I found myself unchained, unleashed, and unaware of the speed at which I was producing.

off like a rocket I flew sculpting like never before

From nothing other than my own imagination I was able to turn any kind of geometry into any character I felt.

[youtubehd]kq_8cj8jb10&hd=1[/youtubehd]

I was truly free to create as I wanted.

The sphere became my best friend allowing me manipulate forms unlike anything I’ve been able to do.

[youtubehd]uBGTJ6w4psk&hd=1[/youtubehd]

Dynamesh became my new best friend, allowing my to take spheres and turn them into anything I want:

[youtubehd]GbNzh7K6csQ&hd=1[/youtubehd]

With it whole new styles began to emerge because of it

One of my old professors as he ran around the room:

And a fat kid in a panda suit

[youtubehd]FM2EEuq7XVo&hd=1[/youtubehd]

Attachments

Untitled-1.jpg

bigbigman.jpg

gash.jpg

Rendering

The idea of rendering in zbrush is nothing new,but with the addition of HDR and the ability to alter things with BPR filters,
the game for me changed significantly.
I’m the kinda guy who doesn’t like to move around a lot.
The more I can stay in one program the easier it is for me to focus.
Conceptual work can be done now from beginning to end within this program. And I love it.

This Mermaid was done from a sphere in one hour.
The actual render used no photoshop what so ever, the end result being layered filters found within the BPR filter itself:

[youtubehd]OJQfmzIqhmE&hd=1[/youtubehd]

This Alien should look familiar, He was done using two spheres
one for the suit and one for the head. He used a simple wax shader for skin.

[youtubehd]_sbFLXeuHg0&hd=1[/youtubehd]

This devil’s render was my second play with the bpr filters.

[youtubehd]FW5nSNZHuLU&hd=1[/youtubehd]

This butterfly was the first successful test I did with the wax shader as a skin shader, I was so happy with how this came out. I also put a quick vid showing the very very beginning of the sculpting process and what I go through when making a model like this.

butterfly.jpg

[youtubehd]YrTPfsUM6Eo&hd=1[/youtubehd] [youtubehd]Wl94H1rj6Bc&hd=1[/youtubehd]

And finally was the head I did to document a video tutorial on how I created this shader, it uses 3 variations of the material all blended together using zbrush’s new material blending system.

[youtubehd]aJSVW2sFA6o&hd=1[/youtubehd]

This piece was done using the new curve brushes, really interesting things. Every thing from the wrinkles to the poly paint was done using the curves as a base.

[youtubehd]DWSm2zre6Sg&hd=1[/youtubehd]

a snippet of the base material, of which three versions are applied to the final model.

An Alien dog thing I did in a quick sitting :slight_smile:

The Idea of rendering continued, but I realized I had no real videos of me modeling.
I decided I would (from a sphere) design a realistic creature

[youtubehd]UX9RetVwg5g&hd=1[/youtubehd]

I also wanted to play with the new noise plugin

one afternoon I popped out this imagea napping old man and it made me smile:

A Cartoonish Gorilla, still a work in progress. about an hour so far, still trying to see where this one goes :slight_smile:

And theres more of course, but its mostly scraps here and there, once polished they’ll pop up somewhere haha. Making these sculptures I used every single new feature available to me. It was like using a completely new program, without learning anything. All the features were intuitive and just worked (most of the time haha). I never felt more at ease then with using these features.

I’m so glad I got a chance to help further along such a great program, and I look forward to future betas with such a great company.

Thanks for stopping by and, of course, happy zbrushing :slight_smile:

-Matt

The thumbnail links to the second post in the thread, if you’re reading this go to the top there’s more up there haha :stuck_out_tongue:

Whoa you knocked a ton of great characters. How fast do each take? What is this layerer filter BPR? Also can you render out multilple views of an object, like a turnaround and have it render with BPR?

a character’s time depends on my inspiration. The quickest was the creature in armor, 43 min. the longest was “Bigman” (the dude at the top decked out) he took a few days. He was also one of the first models I did with dynamesh and wanted to see how far I could really push it.

Thanks for stopping by :slight_smile:

Wow! Really awesome work! You mentioned a video tutorial about the shaded that you made, but I don’t see it in your posts. Will you be posting that soon?

Thanks!
~Mechis

yes sir, I’m editing it together with the rendering tutorial. Kinda doing a two in one thing.

Thanks for stopping by :slight_smile:

simply amazing stuff…like your style a lot! :+1:

My favorite is the Butterfly…:smiley:

Awesome work dude!:+1:

wow… i love all of it. very impressive.

thanks guys :slight_smile:

The amount of stuff you came up with is amazing. Great sculpts and great tests!

Thank you so much, you know I’m a big fan of your work, so it means a lot :slight_smile:

Awesome works!! :stuck_out_tongue: :+1:

I appreciate that, thanks

A quick doodle I did, one sphere as usual

Hey Framedworld…Looking Pretty Good There…:D:+1:…Congrats…:+1:small_orange_diamond:)

Thank you SD, always nice when you stop on by :).

:+1:Yeah,good surface,good render