ZBrushCentral

script request:toggle record off and bake all for ALL subtools

Here is a little script request for anyone who feels they can tackle the task,which I’m sure is pretty easy.
Marcus could probably write that faster than it takes to empty a junkmail folder.I would gladly do it myself but zscripting is something I never dug into.

Here is the idea Im sure it would be a great time saver for A LOT of Z4 users out there.
-Step 1: Turn recording Off for all subtools (polypaint,masking,sculpting)
-Step 2 :then “bake all” for all subtools.
(it could be a 2 buttons thing for more flexibility…)

Very useful if you want to use subtool master Fill for example…:slight_smile:
I like all the ideas pixologic have but I would really like a revert to R3.5 option regarding new layers functions…that Record button is hell for me.
I mean if you need it its a blessing , but if you don’t it’s hell really.
Im pretty sure Im not alone in this.

Thanx in advance.

This is actually quite difficult. The reason is that it is not easy to check whether record is on for a particular layer, especially if the layers don’t have unique names. It’s easy to turn record off - you just set the layer intensity to 0 then set the slider back to whatever it was before - but if the layer wasn’t turned on [‘visible’] then this will turn it on, so you need to check not only for recording but also layer visibility…

Hmm…in my files the record is always on on the last layer so I didn’t realize the very obvious fact that any layer can be the current one in record mode. I can see how that can be difficult,thanx for explaining to me.

What about a script to desactivate the Record feature entirely??:smiley:
Just kidding…but not really.

Hi Christian,

The ZPlugin below should be what you are looking for, if not let me know.

There is one button, Stop Layer Recording, and three switches that determine if all subtools should be affected, if visibility should be turned on (done before baking), and if Bake All should be applied.

I still need to add some conditionals, like testing if the subtool actually has layers. Right now I am just assuming all the subtools are polymesh subtools.

The TV_TT2LayerRecording.zsc file and the accompanying folder should be placed in the ZStartup/Zplugs folder. Restart ZBrush and the zplugin can be found in Zplugin > Tiny Tools 2.

Hi Marcus,

It was not that difficult to detect which layer is recording or which ones are hidden. All it took was an unlimited supply of coffee, two packs of smokes and afterwards a trip to the local psychologist. Easy-peasy :wink:

Due to the way the Layer scrollbar displays the list of layers and how ZBrush searches for UI pathnames, it is possible to detect which layer is currently recording.

It goes like this:

Set the layer scrollbar secondary value to 0. Now only the last layer is displayed on the list of layers. We know “Tool>Layer>” + the title of “Tool>Layer>Layer Intensity” is the UI path to the currently selected layer and we know that ZBrush stops at the first UI pathname it finds. Therefore we can check the [IGetID,…] of the selected layer, make sure it is not 58 (the Layer Intensity slider) and if modget = 3 it is recording.

It does not matter if all layer names are the same.

If no layer is recording you again set the layer scrollbar secondary value to 0 and then manualy Tool>Layer>SelectDown to the last layer. Now you can modify each layer. By increasing the layer scrollbar secondary value and pressing Tool>Layer>SelectUp you will always find the topmost layer of the displayed layer list.

The only problem would be if initially no layer was selected. But as far as I know there is always a layer selected. Well apart from this little bug; create a single layer, turn off recording, delete the layer, undo the delete. Now you have a single layer but it is not selected ! But that should be a very rare occurrence and does not happen when there are two or more layers.

Cheers,

2 Likes

It works great!! :smiley:
I tried it on a few pretty heavy files and no problems so far.

Thanx you very much TVeyes, you made my day sir.

Thanks Mark, I knew you’d fall for it. :wink:

useful information

Darn it, I knew it was a trap ! Such cunning and mischievous planning could only come from a true master of malicious temptations. You are not Welsh by any chance? :wink:

Well, some people like sudoku, I am a sucker for mindbogglingly weird zscript…what shall we call it… peculiarities. In fact I think I might just forget all about DynaMesh and go straight to Brush > Surface > Col0 to try and IGet/ISet it. I can hardly wait :smiley:

Necro’ing this thread! :skull:

I came across the need for this functionality recently and am wondering if is it possible to reattach the script that toggles off layer recording mode? Maybe there a new/better way of doing this these days?

Thanks !

1 Like