ZBrushCentral

Please help me with first sculpt. :)

Hi everyone!
First time poster and first time sculpt in zbrush.

I decided for practice i would try to do a demon type character (cliche, i know)

As you can see, i was working on the wings and it was going ok untill i turned the character

The bumps on the front of the wings were pulling in the front… and if i sculpt in front, it will do the same to the back…like if it were a plane. Is there a solution to this problem… and how can i avoid this problem in the future?
I made the wings with a zsphere and zsketching.

Any help will be greatly apreaciated! :slight_smile:

Attachments

ZGrab01.jpg

ZGrab02.jpg

hey dude. Easy solution: Use the inflate-Brush instaed of the Standard-Brush! Happy ZBrushing :smiley:

That looks great for a first sculpt. Wish I could do that.

Thank you Al-Basic… that simple solution actually worked! :smiley:
Unfortunatly it the damage is already done with the standard brush, gonna redo the wings and this time… use the inflate from the beggining.

Thank you dillster, technicly its my second sculpt… as i did a head bust before… but nothing special… I checked your work… and really liked your the model you made… very stylized!

Hey man, lookin good for a 2nd sculpt! Al’s solution is the most simple and best solution I think, but there are other ways to do it also that might be convenient to you. There is an option in your brush palette named Backface Masking or something similar. If you click this on, whatever sculpting you do will only effect the plane you are directly sculpting on, and wont affect the backside. So with your wing for example, and sculpting you do to the front side wont bleed through to the back.

Thanks for the comment and tip polaroid29… the more hints and tricks the better! I’m sure it will come in handy some day.

But like i said i decided to redo the wings and was trying something diferent now…

this time i just made the bones… as you can see in the image… but now i was wondering how can i make the thin membrane that i painted in photoshop?
I already thought of building the base mesh in 3ds max… which would be easy… but i am making this to learn… so i want to know… what would be the best way of making it in zbrush?

Attachments

ZGrab03.jpg

check out zsphere magnets
http://www.pixologic.com/docs/index.php/ZSpheres:_Advanced_Techniques

i remember using these in version 3 to make wing membranes. not sure if they still function. i picked the technique up from a zsphere dragon base-mesh you used to be able to download from the main pixologic site. does anyone have a copy of that still i wonder?

Thanks for the tip magbhitu… took me a while before i could understand how the zsphere magnets worked… turns out it only work with classic skinnig…

Also found this helpful thread with a downloadable example:
http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?t=51330

well cool, you taught me something. i wondered what that classic skinning toggle was for. great to have that example also - thanks.

Glad it helped magbhitu. :slight_smile:

Even with these techniques, i still have alot of dificultiy to get the wings right… so i just went ahead and made the base mesh in 3ds max. Much easier and quicker.

I have one question though… i am making his wings seperate from his body… how do i merge the 2 meshes after so that i can sculpt as if part of the same sculpt?

Hi! I wish i could be of any help, but i only sculpt 2 stuff and working in my third one. Yours is really cool!! I really like it, i wish my second sculpt looked liked yours. Good work!

you need to use the subtool master plugin to merge the two objects after loading them both as subtools. then do ReMesh All under the subtool pallet (with a fairly high resolution of course). if you have sculpt details from before you can then use projectAll to get them back.

that will work but it’s probably better on the topology to just weld the wings on in max.

Ok i finally finished the 1st fase of the wings… still gonna detail more later…

I made the base mesh on 3ds max
base_mesh.jpg

Gonna retopologize the model as i reached my polycount limit… and i still want to detail the face alot more… the retopology should help with the polycount…
I am happy on how the model is coming along, considering its the first time i do a finished model.
All comments welcome

Attachments

wings_back.jpg

wings_front.jpg

front.jpg

back.jpg

face.jpg

Thank you for the comment belbe! :slight_smile: I checked your work, and you have some interesting stuff. One thing that helped me was having plenty of references… this character is made up by me… but i searched plenty of muscle, mouth, nose, horn, wing references so that its easier to know exactly how to block out the character.

@magbhitu
Thanks for the sugestion, i looked into it but then i found out i can attatch by retopologizing the mesh, which i am gonna have to do anyway. But thanks for the tip… another zbrush thing i know! :slight_smile:

Here is the retopology of the head so far…

retopo.jpg

Damn this takes long… hope i’m doing this right… seems ok when previewing the projection.

looks good man. lol- retopo isn’t that bad, just get a book on tape or something.

haha magbhitu, that would be more entertaining! :smiley:

I got another problem now (yay for begginers)… so i have finished retopologizing, and exported the model to 3ds max for some finishing touches… but for some reason when i import the model back into zbrush… its resized! And i can no longer project the detail onto the model. Is there a way to convert it to exactly match the scale it had before? I also noticed that it was zbrush that resized it and not 3ds max… is there any way of exporting without resizing the mesh?

Any help would be apreciated! :slight_smile:

Please help… i am really stuck on this one…

Good news… i solved that issue i had (by accident)… and finally got some work done… :smiley: \o/
I fixed the problem by adding the main mesh as a subtool to the retopologized mesh… and that for some reason would resize either the retopologized mesh or the main one… not sure how it worked or why it worked… but it worked!! :cool:

Anyway… added more detail to the body and started on the subtools…

progress.jpgprogress2.jpg

Finally finished with all the clothes and armor…
Gonna go into fine detailing the body now…

progress5.jpg