ZBrushCentral

My version of Orbb (Quake 3 character)

Hey :slight_smile:

Have been doing this project on and off for about the last year but have finally finished it! It’s the character Orbb from the game Quake 3 Arena, was a big fan of the game and decided to make it a project in ZBrush, at the start it was only supposed to be about a month long :confused:

The scene is the main part of one of the maps called Campgrounds/Q3dm6 which i redesigned based on the original. Orbb was modelled and textured entirely in ZBrush apart from the base mesh which i did in Maya. Most of the scene sections were modelled in Maya then imported into ZBrush for the surface detail and base texturing, which I then touched up in Photoshop.

If you never played the game the aesthetic theme was medieval/futuristic, that’s why there’s a pentagram in the middle and skulls. Anyway these are the stills, the next step is to rig and animate Orbb then render a video with lots of post processing (will be finished in 2084). Will probably have to retopologise most of the geometry which was a step I skipped, thats why the topology is horribly bad.

Programs used: ZBrush, Maya + mental ray for rendering, xNormal for cavities, Photoshop + After Effects for scene texturing and post processing.

Thanks!

Final 1 - Orbb Front - 1700px.jpg

Sorry for all the images, got a bit carried away with the WIP stuff

Attachments

Final 2 - Orbb Back - 1700px.jpg

Final 3 - Scene x4 - 1700px.jpg

Progression.jpg

Polyframe and Textures.jpg

Orbb Parts.jpg

Render Passes.jpg

Gun.jpg

Scene Parts 1.jpg

Scene Parts 2.jpg

Awesome :slight_smile:

Thanks! :smiley:

:eek:

damn

Who didn’t love that character! I hope I never have to fight a giant intelligent eyeball in the future, in space. Amazing piece and the breakdowns only make it look even more impressive. Great job!

( jaw drops on keyboard, … faints)

i love that character in quake 3 ;D Im not feeling his hands, but awesome job !

Excelent work, the textures are awesome.

My Sketchbook

Thank you so much for the feedback :smiley:

@ Berreck Yea he is an interesting character, my favourite character was Slash though and I was planning to do her in ZBrush but I think thats a long way off now seeing as Orbb was supposed to only take a month or so lol

@ slocik Yea I spent ages trying to get the hands right but still couldn’t seem to do it, but I made the fingers a bit longer and spikey so the hands would look a bit more beefy - original Orbb had the same. but the camera in Maya makes them look huge and ZBrush’s camera makes them look too small.

you gave the idea to maybe do a quake model myself. And i think it would be a lot easier considering there is not much part to her compare teh the orb guy ;]
Btw how long did it take to make ?

Haa, its him! One of the most insolent bots, my favourite to frag! :smiley:

Very good model and texture work! Imo you may strengthen a bit the detail

of the arms/fingers. Very nice that you have chosen him :+1:

I think slash would look cooler aswell, but probably a bit generic as there’s loads of stuff like that around, but Orbb is quite unique I suppose. It took A LOT more time than I anticipated! Orbb and the scene took about 6 months on and off each but I dread to think the total amount of hours put into it. Probably 30% of the time was a spent either sorting out problems and finding workarounds (in ZBrush and Maya) or just generally learning - my last project in ZBrush was a pirhana which was a lot simplier in comparison. But if i redid Orbb now I rekon I could get it done in less than half the time.

Thanks very much! :slight_smile: :slight_smile: I didn’t expect anyone or many people on this forum would have played the game, so that’s awesome!

Fantastic i love this game !!! :+1:

Orbb is one of the easies to remember bots from quake. Great job of bringing him back to XXI century.

love q3, this is epic.

Awesome, beautiful!

:smiley: :smiley:

Thanks, heard ID will make a new Quake game at some point, will be cool if they bring q3dm6 and orbb back :slight_smile:

they wont make another quake for at lest 5-10 years ;] They already anouced rage 2, and doom 4 will be made after ;]

Rage 2 already?! I knew about Doom 4, that should definately be good. yea will be a long wait, but quake 4 was a disappointment so maybe quake 5 would be more like q3 :slight_smile:

I haven’t logged in in a very long time, but I had to for this. FANTASTIC!