ZBrushCentral

Help - Shortcuts for Brush Size?

Hi all,

I’ve checked the kbd shortcuts pdf but there’s no mention of it… is there a way to increase/decrease brush size via keyboard? Perhaps like Photoshop’s ] and [ keys?

If no built-in shortcuts, is there a way to script them to increment by a particular amount? Am still learning Zbrush…

Thanks,
Joe

If you are using Zbrush 2, brush resizing hotkeys are already assigned [ and ]. You can also press ‘s’ to bring up a Brush size slider at the cursor position.

Edit: oops, just edited while Mike replied.

The hot key “S” also brings up the interactive slider to set brush size.

ah… I should have checked!

thanks to you both!

What there isn’t unfortunately is the same function as in Painter where you can quickly pull out a brush size by holding down a hot key.

Hope there will be one happy day… hint, hint.

:wink:

Yes Boozzy, I have asked this from the first version, but that seems difficult to code or not major function to implement :rolleyes:
Pilou fan of Boozzy

Also, one touch on the space bar or a right click on the mouse brings up the quick menu, with the cursor sitting on the slider for brush-size, (as well as access to all those other sliders and menus, too…)

Sven

What I would like to see: the size [ ] keys increment set in the preferences somewhere (instead of always 10). Also the intensity settings need a similar hotkey.

The makers of Deep Paint got it right with the ctrl-click for size and intensity (click and drag left or right for intensity, and drag up or down for size).

This functionality may be too hard to put into z-code, but at least, hopefully my first suggestion could be implimented? Perhaps as a ZBrush plugin?

Every single value in Zbrush can be assigned a hotkey and cursor movement adjustment. You could also assign cursor movement adjustment on 2 axis’ as TheRide suggested. You could have exponential increases in values until a certain point, or the reverse. Many things are possible and would all be done through Zscripts/Zplugins.

The only question is what is the ideal setup? And will any hotkeys conflict with future versions/zplugins?

If the people interested in this would post their personal preferences I would not mind taking a shot at making a fairly comprehensible ‘Draw values’ script, for lack of a better name.

TVeyes,

Thanks for your quick responce, and willingness to take on this challenge! As you already read, my preference is with the Deep Paint style. I don’t know much about ZScripting code yet but would like to learn. I guess that ZScript is able to recognize when a key is pressed and held down, and then read the cursor movement? This would allow you to get the x and y values of your cursor as you press a designated hotkey. Perhaps a mild exponential increase curve would work best.

The designation of the hotkey could be in a clearly marked begining of the script. Does ZScripting use variables? It could then easily be changed if there was a conflict.

sounds great, nice offer TVeyes. i hope you end up having the time to do this.

hard call on the personal preference though.
my first thought was that i’d prefere continuity between programs, thus pushing me the towards the click-button-hold-and-drag thing as it matched up with maya (artisain) and painter. zbrush’s style is just different enough from maya that its messing with my head in addition to seeming a bit cumbersome.

however on further consideration i think the deep paint paradigm more effective and streamlined. combine that with two new hot keys similar to brush size (perhaps alt- and alt+) to accommodate alternate work styles and you’ve got a pretty good combo.

Dear Santa, alt drag would be lovely.

Sorry Boozy Floozie, no. Santa told me you had been a very bad boy this year :wink: Even if it was possible to use the Alt key + drag it would interfere with the regular 3D operations.

To do something like this through zscripting alone you must use mapable keys and preferably keys that are not a part of the default hotkey setup.

Furthermore you will need to end the draw size adjustement(for example) by clicking the mouse button. So, for example, you press ‘n’, drag the cursor to adjust some value(s) and select that value by clicking the left mouse button.

Give me a year or two and I’ll have it up and running :slight_smile:

Wet-nap: I am looking into various setups and will try to include as many as possible. Still waiting for the Mac version though and the zscript info that will follow.

I swear at least once a year I have to re-set my brush size modifier hot keys in ZBrush back to my [] Bracket keys. Inevitably I wind up at this youtube video that clearly I’ve re-watched about 12 times. Here’s what you’re looking for,

Spoiler: It’s in the ZPlugin Menu > Misc. Utilities > Brush Size >> and << Brush Size
^CTRL + ALT + Left click the button to assign them hotkeys

Cheers,
-Lucas M

Instructional Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywzj2oNPVSs

1 Like