ZBrushCentral

Mission Impossible? NOT. 3D Printing Art Challenge

Here is your mission, should you choose to accept it!

Take the supplied triangulated mesh and create a Sci-Fi character that accurately reflects the geometry of his face, but adds a high tech vision component to the missing left eye!

This challenge started as the result of a single sniper bullet removing the corner of his left eye, along with the eye itself, in Iraq. We spoke of what we could do to create something visually cool, like 7 of 9, or an implanted night vision scope. The soldier is excited about seeing what can be done, and will be involved in the selection of a winner. It will also help me convince others of the value of “Art & Entertainment” software, in dealing with real medical issues.

The winner of the challenge will have his model printed on a ZCorp printer, and entered into the Additive Manufactured Art contest to be held at the RAPID manufacturing conference in Atlanta, GA in May, 2012. The winner will also receive a full size copy of the artwork, as well as one to the soldier.

Here is an opportunity to utilize the skills for creating “printable” art, and get your art seen at a major conference!

Rules are simple: maintain the current physical life size; X-ray, telescopic, night vision - your call. Bust, head, or full body of your own design, but preferably no horror stories. Completed art should be printable. If you have problems with that, there are instructions on both the modo and ZBrush sites for creating printable art. I will be more than happy to respond to any questions or comments (that are not political in origin).

This mesh started in a CT scanner, was segmented using Mimics (Materialise), cleaned up and decimated in Magics (Materialise), converted from .stl to .obj in MeshLab, and a little cleanup and smoothing was done using ZBrush and modo. His left ear is bent forward because of the head and neck restraint in the scanner, so both ears should be straightened a little bit.

Send me an email at 3DArtChallenge@gmail.com for the mesh download instructions, and get started!

Attachments

DanArtChallenge.jpg

After so many views, is it really possible that there is no interest in this challenge? I would have thought that it would be interesting, and the opportunity to receive public recognition and a printed model of the art would attract some of you.

I have been very impressed by the quality of what I see on this forum, and only wish I could reach even a fraction of that standard. Unfortunately, or fortunately, depending on your point of view, my artistic talents have been restricted to living tissue.

Were it not for all my work commitments and lack of free time etc I would be interested in this. This sounds like a very interesting project for artists to undertake and I wish you luck finding an artist. I was also surprised to find this thread has no comments. Either way best of luck!

I must say it’s a very different idea for a contest.

Maybe it would help if I expand on my idea a little bit.

During the last nine years of working with medical additive manufacturing, I have faced many issues with organic (medical) models that made them very difficult to build, and quite messy and highly tesselated. The necessity for having a clean mesh to build, and a reasonable number of triangles, became very important. My systems would not build meshes that had 5 million triangles, and the computers almost came to a halt. And incidentally, the government thinks that a high-end graphics card means that you want to play games during working hours!

When attempting to build art models, I found that they were comprised of many entirely separate ‘parts’ or ‘shells’ and either could not be built because they were open meshes, or single sided polygons, or caused the equipment to fail to build. Learning how to obtain a single, closed mesh, that did not have outlying triangles, and had reasonable numbers became critical.

I started using ZBrush for fun, then decided to try to use it to ‘clean’ up some of my messy meshes. By messy, I mean models that had really jagged or bumpy sections of the mesh where the mess was artifact, and not really an accurate representation of the actual model. Realize that all my models start as CT scans, and think of the artifact that a piece of metal creates in an x-ray, and you get an idea. Then I save it back as an STL file, and build. Still anatomically, geometrically accurate. I also use visible light 3D photography or photogrammetry to obtain data to build.

I think that a project like this, with progress online, gives an artist an opportunity to learn what works, how to correct the files/model, what elements have to be thicker/thinner etc.

If we take our time, there is lots of time for this to occur. The conference show isn’t until May 2011, so it should fit in with most schedules. Try it! There truly isn’t anything to lose.

I understand the application of zbrush and the community outreach, I think it’s the idea of designing something to apply to a person’s face because of a traumatic injury that puts this in the realm of “out there”.

Okay, that makes sense. I guess that since I am usually creating custom implants and prosthetics, I forget how the rest of the world views my job.

If I didn’t make it clear, this is just art work. The individual had created a set of custom eye patches, and we were talking of what he would look like with some kind of hitech SciFi electronic eye thingie. He thinks the idea of an artistic rendition is really cool, but I am not wired that way. I can come up with ideas, but my artistic talents are too skimpy. Then with the RAPID manufacturing show, we have had an art exhibit and competition the last two years. It has been very well received, and I thought this might be a way to get the wonderful artists from ZBrush involved.

This will be built only as a complete artwork, not as anything else for someone to actually use or wear. Just art.

That’s a good clarification to have. If I have some free time I might throw something together.

Hello Everyone,

Please tell me this challange is still open!!

I am a Vet myself and I also got hurt. So as you can amagine I am very interested in submiting for this contest. Please let me know where we stand.

Thank you,
Nick:D

nicholas.hall@noguchigraphics.com

oops sorry about the missed spell check:p

Well hello everyone,

This is my starting point so let see what happens…

Now that I have some free time I should be able to get some work done. :smiley:

Attachments

eye-replacement-turnaround.jpg

Looks like you have the basics now. I am interested in seeing what kind of vision you have in mind. I do so love a challenge!

Hello everyone,

Here is my idea. The sketch is based off of what I know to be able to use right now with current optic tech. If and only if the interface between the optic nerve and hardware/ software was available.

The “main eye” is a standard 45mm wide angle lens.
The two on the outside can be what ever kit-out the operator may need. This one is a dig. night vision and a thermal mounted below that.

Hope you guys and gals like it, feed back is always welcome.

… Now lets get rolling in ZB

Thank you,
Nick

The design for that is looking pretty cool, can’t wait to see the model of it. As for the head… what’s with the ears? :stuck_out_tongue:

edit oops, posted before reading the first post… I see why the ear is goofy now :confused:

That’s the way the model you supplied looked… Can I fix them. The geometry of the scan/model is horrible. I’m actually having to re-sculpt it so it divides clean. Unless you have a file made from clean geo. Please let me know.

Thank you,
Nick

Just wanted to let you know I am still working on you model. I am not sure if you have seen the thread in a while so I wanted to send you a Work In Progress (WIP). The image above is re-sculpt of the head you sent me (please remember it is still in work). I had to re-sculpt the head because the underlying geometry was horrible from the scan. I you have any comments or concerns please feel free to write back. Hope all is well.

Attachments

wip-09252011.jpg

Hi

Im interested in this… but Im also snowed under with work at the moment.

can I ask the deadline? and where do I get a copy of the scan from?

I make models for print all the time, so look forward to having a go when I get some time.

Steve

What is your email and I can send you what the thread starter sent me.

Just to warn ya the geo in the scan is horible in my opinion… so I am re-sculpting it. I hope I don’t tick anyone off by doing it, but it is to much of a distraction.

Hope to hear from you soon-Later!

could you send it to… sales at terragnosis . co . uk

cheers

sent it…