Senior Member Follow User Gallery

Thanks Sparky I want to get better at drawing, as right now I can only really doodle aimlessly. Here's a new piece I'm starting, I saw a concept by an amazing artist Clare Mackie that I really enjoyed, so I thought I'd try modeling from a concept for once rather than my own imagination. Here's where I am so far..

MushroomRender.jpg
    Last edited by polaroid29; 08-24-11 at 04:40 PM.

Thumbnail.jpg

Final Render . Hope you guys like it, it was extremely fun to do and nice to do something a little more uplifting and happy, it was much needed. You can check out Clare's original concept and a lot of her other fantastic work here: www.claremackie.co.uk

MushroomDinnertime3.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Thumbnail.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	359.0 KB 
ID:	268741  
    Last edited by polaroid29; 08-24-11 at 09:58 PM.

Tough crowd haha. Starting a new work, here's my concept so far. This one should be really fun, and will be challenging getting a very clean render like I'm picturing. Hope you guys like it

Lioness.jpg

Sorry Polaroid but a Mushroom doesn't tickle my fancy hehehe

Awesome concept looking forward to seeing the end result, this may be helpful
    http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthr...7&page=4&pp=15
    Portfolio

Current Showreel

My Thead ( Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle, Centaur and other)

2011 University graduate looking for employment

Practice, practice, practice. Every skill is perishable,. Only by constant practice will you be able to hone your craft.

Thanks Sparky I was wondering about how I'd like to go about doing her mane, so that helps a lot. Initial blocking out done so far, just need to retopo and get some detailing going on her.

CharacterSheet.jpg

good block out so far, if anythign the rib cage pachroods a little to much
    Last edited by Sparky3d; 08-26-11 at 05:03 PM.
    Portfolio

Current Showreel

Practice, practice, practice. Every skill is perishable,. Only by constant practice will you be able to hone your craft.

Default Texturing Test..

HairThumbnail.jpg

Started texturing it for fun. I need some major critique or something, I feel like all of my models and renders are starting to look the same, flat and boring. Anybody have any advice on what I can do to make the model more interesting, or make my final renders a lot better? Any help would be appreciated as I feel like I've hit a plateau and can never "finish" a piece.

FullBody.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HairThumbnail.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	124.2 KB 
ID:	269068  
    Last edited by polaroid29; 08-26-11 at 11:28 PM.

Polaroid

I feel that the mane just is not working as real a lioness does not have a mane, I know this is stylised but still

I have provided some reference of a real lioness and a still from the Lion King as they are a very cool stylised way of showing a Lioness

Untitled-1 copy.jpg
    Portfolio

Current Showreel

hey polaroid.. i like the new piece but since you asked for some critiques i'll try to give some

the head fur.. it doesnt fit for a lioness BUT for a human lioness character its fine.. IF .. you run with it.

sometimes the best design ideas come while you're working and not from your original plans... in this case i'm guessing you were goign for anthropormousized lioness... but in the efforts of your design i think you came up with a slightly different theme that you havent maybe even realized yet. make her a socialite.. or runway model... same body design but if you really want the whole idea to come together thing of the pose.. the hair on the head looks like one of those gaudy fancy fur hats you may see a model wearing during a runway stint. come up with a pose for your model where she's strutting, head tilted up looking away from the camera showing her attitude.. And then after you pose.. step back.. take a good look at what you have now and build on it.. forget symetricality.. just make what works to you..

you have the talent with zbrush but it's easy to get caught up with one thing and lose track of the reasons behind the model as a whole.. you wanted to give her fur... when you did were you asking for this particular model what purpose does the fur serve other then decoration.. if it's a prominent part of your design then there should be reasons for it to be part of the anatomy. continue with that same line of thinking when working out jewlery and clothing.. is she and african lioness? then give her a bit of an african attitude.. longer neck maybe.. hand carved looking jewlery pieces. yadda yadda yadda.

or take her in a whole different direction.. make her a big puffy coat and give her the full on eskimo treatment.. polar lioness .. either way.. doesnt matter the direction you choose, what matters is the choosing of a direction. if you find you keep getting to the same point with models and then leaving for the next thing .. when that happens to me i see it as i ran out of steam on my ideas for the first thing...thats why on my alien girl before i even bagan working on her body i had her backstory in my head i knew what her goals in life were.. what the purpose of the peices of her body were.. and i ran with that so that at every design step i would question if it fit with the story i saw for her in my head. Other then the guardian mdoel from big trouble in little china that i made.. this was the first time i had ever even considered working a story out for the model in my head.. usually i would just have an idea for something i wanted to see..with no reasons just wanted to try to design it.. and i could but then i get to that point where i say..

"ok so i did this.. what next.. do i try to add more detail or do i make soemthing new.. do i even know what detail i need to have.. wow.. more detail is gonna suck.. screw it ill do something new" if that sounds familiar to you then yeah.. take my advice.. create the story with the model even if your never gonna tell that story to anyone. it gives everything thats part of your drawing a little more substance and that comes out in the best models out there that you see
    Damien Trippeda .... Novice Zbrusher
    Sketchbook/Experiments: http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?t=154187

Quote Originally Posted by dapharmer
    hey polaroid.. i like the new piece but since you asked for some critiques i'll try to give some

the head fur.. it doesnt fit for a lioness BUT for a human lioness character its fine.. IF .. you run with it.

sometimes the best design ideas come while you're working and not from your original plans... in this case i'm guessing you were goign for anthropormousized lioness... but in the efforts of your design i think you came up with a slightly different theme that you havent maybe even realized yet. make her a socialite.. or runway model... same body design but if you really want the whole idea to come together thing of the pose.. the hair on the head looks like one of those gaudy fancy fur hats you may see a model wearing during a runway stint. come up with a pose for your model where she's strutting, head tilted up looking away from the camera showing her attitude.. And then after you pose.. step back.. take a good look at what you have now and build on it.. forget symetricality.. just make what works to you..

you have the talent with zbrush but it's easy to get caught up with one thing and lose track of the reasons behind the model as a whole.. you wanted to give her fur... when you did were you asking for this particular model what purpose does the fur serve other then decoration.. if it's a prominent part of your design then there should be reasons for it to be part of the anatomy. continue with that same line of thinking when working out jewlery and clothing.. is she and african lioness? then give her a bit of an african attitude.. longer neck maybe.. hand carved looking jewlery pieces. yadda yadda yadda.

or take her in a whole different direction.. make her a big puffy coat and give her the full on eskimo treatment.. polar lioness .. either way.. doesnt matter the direction you choose, what matters is the choosing of a direction. if you find you keep getting to the same point with models and then leaving for the next thing .. when that happens to me i see it as i ran out of steam on my ideas for the first thing...thats why on my alien girl before i even bagan working on her body i had her backstory in my head i knew what her goals in life were.. what the purpose of the peices of her body were.. and i ran with that so that at every design step i would question if it fit with the story i saw for her in my head. Other then the guardian mdoel from big trouble in little china that i made.. this was the first time i had ever even considered working a story out for the model in my head.. usually i would just have an idea for something i wanted to see..with no reasons just wanted to try to design it.. and i could but then i get to that point where i say..

"ok so i did this.. what next.. do i try to add more detail or do i make soemthing new.. do i even know what detail i need to have.. wow.. more detail is gonna suck.. screw it ill do something new" if that sounds familiar to you then yeah.. take my advice.. create the story with the model even if your never gonna tell that story to anyone. it gives everything thats part of your drawing a little more substance and that comes out in the best models out there that you see
    Really well said and a lot of good advice in here. Made me look at a lot of my models in a much different way. Thank you.

thumbnail.jpg

@Sparky thank you as always for watching my work and giving me such good help . Can't wait to see more of your work as well.

@dapharmer thank you thank you thank you, that's exactly what I needed. my original intent for her was to be an African woman but with a very odd mysterious vibe about her. I was originally just gonna make the lioness features be facepaint, but I wanted to push her harder and make her more odd. I agree with Sparky that the mane is not accurate with an actual lioness, but I like it with fitting her as a model-esque character. You were totally right, posing her and thinking about her character more helped a lot. It's why I decided to push her proportions a little harder, make her legs much longer etc

I think it's the best rendering my skills will allow me to do, so until I learn better ways to do it, I think this is as good as it's gonna get. What I mean by that is, somebody tell me the secret to getting a Stumpf render, pretty pretty please ! I'm also trying to push Zbrush Hair as far as I can without having to go to another package for hair&fur. Hope you guys like it, and I'm absolutely still open to critiques or opinions

MsLionessRender.jpg

ZBC, best forums ever? I think yes!
    Last edited by polaroid29; 08-29-11 at 05:46 PM.

now thats exactly what i had in mind when i saw her! very nice.. glad i could be of even a little help.

-d

Hell Yeah Polaroid she has turned into one sexy ass Lioness

Crit at this stage would be her arms look a bit wonkey donkey

Oooh and how about some high heels
    Portfolio

Current Showreel

Awwh thanks guys, I appreciate it . This render good enough to call her done and drop her in the portfolio?!

the only think i would possible suggest is maybe toss a belt on her..bring some focus to the certain of the pose.. (never a bad thing to force attention to a woman in a sexy poses' hips ) and maybe add a light touch of texturing to the cloth material.. it's hard to tell if its tights, rubber, or a....... leo-tard sorry had to go there.

if you've got all your original low subd levels and your uvs a nice and square then a regular uvtile set of uv's + a texturemap using a nice wrappable cloth texture.. make an alpha out of that texture.. displacement map out of that alpha.. set to like .0001 and apply dispmap (not texture.) ... and you've got yourself a fabric texture.. i'll look through the collection ive ammassed and see if i can find something good for a nylon texture if you're interested

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast