ZBrushCentral

Nichollya's Sketchbook

Greeting Zbrushers,

I’ve been lurking about these forums for a while now and finally decided to post some of my own works, in the hope of improving and getting some much needed criticism.

Heres a sculpt I recently did in response to a cghub competition on facial expressions:

Expressions_Spread_Small.jpg

Had a blast doing it.

Recently been trying to get to grips with the human face. I’ve been doing a couple of busts.

This is the latest:

Attachments

Bust 4.jpg

This is essentially a mopy looking alien guy:

Al Lookin.jpg

A bust I’ve been working on to try to get to grips with a “realistic” human face:

Bust 4.jpg

The clavicles are too close together, and his sternocleidomastoid is a bit… big :p…

MjtheHunter: I see exactly what you mean, had to look up the term sternocleidomastoid so bonus for improving my anatomy knowledge. Thanks for the constructive criticism. I’m going to revisit that head soon, so will put it to use.

I’ve also been working on a figure study of an heroic male:

Hum_F.jpg

Getting away from the “meat tubes” effect is challenging for me. Any criticisms or comments are welcomed.

Attachments

Hum_Top.jpg

Decided to slap a sprinkling of colour on this guy.

Refined the forms and added details.

Im working on a liard/dino man. Just having some fun and seeing where it will take me.

[attach=265882]lizaroman01.jpg[/attach]

Some more views:

[attach=265884]lizaroman02.jpg[/attach]

Any comments or crits are much appreciated.

Attachments

lizaroman01.jpg

lizaroman02.jpg

Another attempt at realistic male bust:

[attach=266051]bust_4_1.jpg[/attach]

[attach=266052]bust_4_2.jpg[/attach]

Attachments

bust_4_1.jpg

bust_4_2.jpg

Working on the anatomy of the face, from the inside out:

Crits would be appreciated.

I find ears quite challenging, so I decided to do a quick sculpt from a plane as a study:

I still don’t think I’ve been successful at the transitional area at the ears tip.

Getting the forms to appear distinct but appear to overlap is a challenge. Anyone got any tips on this?

You’re stuff is looking good man! For your heroic male study are you using Scott Spencer’s Digital Sculpting Human Anatomy book?

Hi ColeBot: The Heroic Male Study was done following Scott Spencer’s book. I’m not done with it yet, just taking a wee break.

Seriously though it’s the single best “self education”/tutorial purchase I have ever made. Solid gold. I could not recommend it more.

Thanks for the encouragement too.

I’m also trying to learn correct anatomy and following that book as well right now, but it’s been a slow process for me. I’m only in chapter 2 and kind of struggling following it. I feel the book itself skips quite a bit while the dvd is very thorough, but doesn’t follow the order of the book. Are you mainly following the dvd or the book? Any advice or help for following it?

ColeBot: I’ve watched each chapter’s movie before attempting the chapter itself. I then worked through the book.

But in all honestly, I attempted creating a gestural figure multiple times before being satisfied.

What I’ve learned to do now is also do a quick screen grab and do a paint over my work. It really highlights any flaws.

I’m attempting finish the ecorche bust I started. I’ve laid down the first wrinkle pass. I’m using the old scientist from the series Fringe as reference:

om_1.jpg

Any tips on puckering/variations in wrinkle depth would be appreciated.

Attachments

om_2.jpg

That’s probably a good way to work. Thanks for the advice and keep up the good work!

A small update, I’m still working on adding realistic wrinkles to the old man sculpt. This is my current progress.

[attach=267031]om_views.jpg[/attach]

[attach=267032]om_3Q_views.jpg[/attach]

“Integrating” the wrinkles into the sculpt is quite a challenge. Currently I’m trying to use the standard brush with alpha 01 for the main wrinkle, then placing a stroke of the clay brush with the gravity modifier to try to simulate the sagging fold.

But I find the result still quite harsh.

If anyone has any tips on developing realistic wrinkles it would be much appreciated.

Attachments

om_views.jpg

om_3Q_views.jpg

I’m still working on this lizard man, been playing with some props. I’m thinking of him as a duelist. Possibly some type of musketeer thing.

What do you folk think?