ZBrushCentral

junlai sketchbook....

Hi guys,
it’s been quite some time i’ve been following everyone’s work throughout all the various topics. There’s really some impressive new works each time I come back here.

Quite frankly I'm a bit afraid to post here, since there is always a bunch of great sculptors out there....however I felt it's time for me to reach out to the community and learn from ppl's comments. I hope I'll be able to join this fantastic community and learn how to use zbrush more efficiently :D Here are some of the sketches...right now i have been just do quick sculpt to get some idea juice flow....not necessary worry about topology. However a lot of time I would start at somewhere and end up with nowhere.....let me know what you guys think, cc are welcome.... ![zsketch_011911.jpg|463x580](upload://scELP28hrmqPMjiQsn6t23OEIKf.jpeg)](http://%3Cfont%20color=%22#9a9a9a%22%3E[ATT=) [vv]26328880[/vv] [](http://www.zbrushcentral.com/zbc/faq.php?faq=vb_read_and_post#faq_zbc_display_images)

Attachments

zsketch_071111.jpg

zsketch_032811.jpg

zsketch_012511.jpg

zsketch_012411.jpg

Kapaa_Comp7.jpg

Welcome to the community! And interesting start, one thing I would say right off the bat: try not to focus on making finished models. Keep it rough. Also you seem to rely on simple cutting into your pieces which tells me that your dividing far to early. Really work those lower levels and make an interesting silhouette. It’ll keep your pieces dynamic and fresh

You have many cool character ideas. Very original!
Jack

thanks for the cc guys, yea i do have the tendency to focus on one section instead of whole form…:confused: gonna need to work on that!!

anyhow here are sketch of the day...... <table class="fieldset" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="1" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td>![zsketch_071211.jpg|815x560](upload://29vDE1Ek7VdCUiZAp8xdiItLM6z.jpeg)

</td><td align=“right”>
</td></tr></tbody></table> </td></tr></tbody></table>
</td><td align=“right”>
</td></tr></tbody></table>

Attachments

zSketch_071211_2_low.jpg

zSketch_071211_1_low.jpg

Another sketch i did last night…think i might work on this one a bit more…here are some of the progress.
zsketch_071411.jpg

[vv]26628766[/vv]
<table class=“fieldset” border=“0” cellpadding=“0” cellspacing=“1” width=“100%”><tbody><tr><td>
</td><td align=“right”>

Attachments

zsketch_071411_side.jpg

Another sketch i did last night, about an hour of sculpting…requested of giraffe topic from my wife :smiley:

zsketch_071811.jpg

[vv]26631332[/vv]

Another night of quick sculpting…about 40mins roughly. Gonna post the sped up video later of the day :wink:

![zsketch_072911_thumb.jpg|110x60](upload://xpLk9CrSpagnzlYOX4q1Vhs1wts.jpeg)

[vv]27062306[/vv]

Attachments

zsketch_072911.jpg

<table class=“fieldset” border=“0” cellpadding=“0” cellspacing=“1” width=“100%”><tbody><tr><td>Another quick sketch i did last night. Playing around hardsurface this time :confused: about 2 hours of sculpt follow with a bit a photoshop retouch. I was only able to save 30 mins of sculpt which is sped up to 5 mins…cc r welcome as always

![zsketch_080211_icon.jpg|110x60](upload://azvDAcbDxcWjud4rE8UZfFqBLBM.jpeg) [vv]27246842[/vv] &lt;/td&gt;&lt;td align="right"&gt; &lt;/td&gt;&lt;/tr&gt;&lt;/tbody&gt;&lt;/table&gt;

Attachments

zsketch_080211.jpg

<table class=“fieldset” border=“0” cellpadding=“0” cellspacing=“1” width=“100%”><tbody><tr><td>Another sketch…been working on it for 2 night in a row…about 2-3 hours of sculpt :slight_smile:
zsketch_080911_icon.jpg</td><td align=“right”>
</td><td align=“right”>

Attachments

zsketch_080911.jpg

It’s been awhile since last time I worked the sketch or Zbrush :confused: Have been quite busy on a lot of stuff, majority on the Starcraft 2 …
Anyhow I was able to get some time to watch the hardsurface zbrush modeling technique from EAT3D Hardsurface Technigues with Mike Jensen. Not sure if anyone is familiar with this model from the tutorial. It have been on thetop row in zbruch central!! So I was pretty inspired with his work and try to use his technique and workflow into mine…
zsketch_081911_icon.jpg

Attachments

zsketch_081911.jpg

Work in progress with this guy…playing around with some mixutre of organic and hard-surface :slight_smile: CC are welcome as always
<table class=“fieldset” border=“0” cellpadding=“0” cellspacing=“1” width=“100%”><tbody><tr><td>zsketch_083111_icon.jpg

Attachments

zsketch_083111.jpg

Some of works i did this passed year or so from zbrushworkshop
creature_mix.jpg

eatfeak2.jpg

eatfreak1.jpg

Some insect designs concepts
insect2.jpg
insect.jpg

Creature design from beginning to finish comp :slight_smile:
rockcreature_step1.jpg

rockcreature_step2.jpg

rockcreature.jpg

Quadrocarrier, I called him…a fast running creature mainly for carry heavy items across dessert, well this one is running loose :slight_smile:

POSE_COMP3_low.jpg

Quadcarrier_close.jpg

Quadcarrier_step.jpg

<iframe src=“http://player.vimeo.com/video/47430583” webkitallowfullscreen="" mozallowfullscreen="" allowfullscreen="" frameborder=“0” height=“281” width=“500”></iframe>
Quadrocarrier AO Turntable low from Jack Lai on Vimeo.

<iframe src=“http://player.vimeo.com/video/47702127” webkitallowfullscreen="" mozallowfullscreen="" allowfullscreen="" frameborder=“0” height=“281” width=“500”></iframe>
Quadrocarrier Color Turntable from Jack Lai on Vimeo.

Love this. Really love this.

It was a long process to get to this stage T_T hope you like it…comment and feedback are welcome as always;)
oldman.jpg
oldman2_452_low.jpg
picasso.jpg
zbrush-document.jpg
ZBrush Document2.jpg
zbrush_comp.jpg
picasso_testcomp2.jpg

concept2_high_low.jpgconcept1_highAO_low_0.jpgcharacter_sheet_comp_low.jpgcharacter_sheet2_comp_low.jpgcharacter_sheet3_comp_low.jpg

Posed up the character in Maya and Keyshot/Photoshop :smiley:

Final homework for the final crit of Joseph Drust’s class at zbrushworkshop. Still need to work on the lower body and finish him up with the pose.

final_2_low.jpg
final_4_low.jpg
final_5_low.jpg