ZBrushCentral

another orc

It took me a long time to model this guy , I had some troubles wih the nose and eye sockets.(this is the first time , I tried out the low poly method).
Now that I textured him , a lot of detail in the model isnt visible anymore. So do you have to exagerate depth in a model before texturing ?

(sorry if I made mistakes in english :p)

Try adjusting the light settings to get the depth to show. Try this: set the first light to a sun with a setting of 1.25 and white in color. Set shadow intensity to 100 and turn on ZMode. Move it so it is in the middle of the top left corner of the screen. Set Ambient Lighting to zero. Turn on another light. Set it as a sun with a bright orange or red color and intensity of .6 Turn off the shadow for this light. Move it to the middle of the bottom right corner. Now adjust your material brightness to around 15 or 20 you may have to experiment. Turn up the diffusion to 80 or higher and adjust the diffusion graph so the curve of the graph is very slight from top right to bottom left corner…it should look almost like a straight diagonal line with a slight bend. You can experiment here as well. You can also make adjustments in the RENDER menu. Under ADJUSTMENTS change contrast to around 20 and brightness to around 8. Experiment with all this and let me know what you think. These are the base settings I usually use when setting up my renders.

By the way your modeling is improving greatly…keep up the good work!

Edited: Here is a quick picture demonstrating what I was talking about. All the circled areas are the adjusted settings mentioned above. The picture on the left is rendered with the basic default settings and the picture on the right with the adjusted settings. You can tweak many other things as well to increase the visibility of the model such as specularity and the specularity curve…using more lights. Changing the ambient light setting and the ambient light graph etc. Just experiment. There is a lot of power in the lighting/render settings.

Another addition:

Here is a pic and a live .ZBR file that you can unzip and look at. You will be able to see all the settings I used.

Here is the ZBR file:
Accountant.zip

Excellent modelling, and the eyes are full of menace. Follow grand master Mentat’s advice and you’ll be on to a winner every time. :smiley:

Ha ha, i’ve just noticed when I posted my reply it looks like he is staring through your letterbox, freaky!! :smiley:

Great looking character–I like the expression and the modeling on the mouth–plus that’s pretty cool hair (fuzz) too ! :smiley: :+1: :+1: :+1:

Great Modelling and Texturing !!! :+1: :+1: :+1:

am sure it will look much better once the lighting is tweaked…

Thanks for your advice and explanation , Mentat7.

I tried it out and I got better results :slight_smile:
I’m still going to experiment a bit , I never really changed a lot of light settings in the past.

This is the model by the way :

Those eyes are marvelous,some fine work there buddy! :sunglasses: :+1: :+1:

Your modelling skills are looking good Namek, Dig those eyes too. :+1: :+1: :+1:

looks like you got some excellent advice about light…love your texturing,and choice of colors…