ZBrushCentral

Tutorial: 'Rusted Golden Idol' with a drop shadow

Hi :slight_smile:
This ZScript tutorial demonstrates the following items…
:large_orange_diamond: Symmetrical object.
:large_orange_diamond: Rusted/Corroded surface.
:large_orange_diamond: Drop shadow.
:large_orange_diamond: Gradient background.

The image below is generated by the ZScript…

This procedure is similar to the one used in creating the Carriage And Horse image.

The ZScript can be downloaded by clicking in here.
After extracting the included files, place these files within your ZScript folder and open the RustedGoldenIdol.txt zscript from within ZBrush.

I hope that you’ll find this tutorial helpful :slight_smile:
If you try this tutorial, please post your images and/or findings,
-Pixolator

Newer published ZScript :small_orange_diamond:AlphaCentury

Pearls of wisdom!

Thanks Pix!!

Hi Pix,

Never occured to me to do a drop shadow within ZB because I hadn’t thought out the stencil/mask combo - very illuminating :wink:

It’s been said many times but I must repeat - never have I seen such an excellent learning process from within a program as you have provided with scripting. It’s power cannot be denied - good work!

Comparing my talent to yours is a chasm that will never be crossed, the best example as to why is you NEVER use the key stroke combination that I use more then any other = CTRL/Z :smiley:

Thanks

jd

another wonderful and inspiring script - thank you, Pixolator! :smiley:

i think this one adds up to at least 7 techniques (and points to 2 more) i’ve never thought of before (in a lil more than a year since the first demoversion for the mac was ready for download). absolutely excellent!

kudos

• juandel :smiley:

Another classic Pixolator script. I just ran it. The solution to doing the drop shadow was an elegant one, I didn’t think of doing it that way.

I’ll have to think of some rusty objects to create now. Maybe in conjunction with the terrain tutorial, maybe I can do a “rusty terrain”. :smiley:

I thought the option to run the script either with or without notes was a nice touch.

I was just thinking that it might be useful (for the benefit of the multi-marker tool) if when duplicating and flipping layers if you could have the option of duplicating and flipping markers as well to do complex symmetrical objects using multi-markers.

Thanks for a great little tutorial, pix!
I especially liked the drop-shadow method you showed. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Pixolator! What a wonderful, informative tutorial! That drop shadow move was incredible. And what a way to make rust without a photo texture.

I’m blown away again.
:+1: :smiley: :+1:

hey pix… i think theres something wrong with the script on my computer, it gives me a routine error when i press play to run the script, is it just me or is it because i havent downloaded the version b yet im having problems with it can you please give me a solution, i really want to see the script. thank you

Hi dr. jjwow,

This script has been tested to work correctly on ZBrush versions 1.23 and above.

Please re-download the ZScript and try it again.

If you are still having problems with the script, please email me with your system information and you’ll be running this script in no time! :slight_smile:

verna@pixologic.com

Please include the following information in your email:

The version of ZBrush you are using.
Your operating system version.
Amount of RAM that you have.
Hard disk space that you have available.

-ZuZu :slight_smile:

Fantastic tutorial! :+1:
I’m going to learn all kinds of things from rewatching this thing! :slight_smile:
:+1:
:small_blue_diamond: Edit: :small_blue_diamond:
Yay! I’ve rewatched it, and had some time to experiment with it, and came up with The upside down dude:

Nothing much, but a good learning experience.

Thanks Pixolator :slight_smile:

I really appreciate the layer duplicate, then flip method, combined with merge layers, to get that symmetry effect SO much quicker that redrawing or mirroring.

Thanks again, Pixolator!

Thanks for the great tutorial. It contained parts of the program that I haven’t gotten to play with and learn yet. You made the modeling and materials look so simple.

This tutorial really inspired me to experiment with materials. Here are some of my experiments:

Pic ID 6: Crusty Molten Ball

Pic ID 7: Verdigris Idol

[img]http://www2.zbrushcentral.com/zbc_uploads0/user_image-1001485679wma.jpg[/img]    

I like verdigris and rust. :+1:

That is totally cool Jaycephus! Any chance that you would post that material so we can see how you made it?

Wow, a year later, I get back to the verdigris:

Updated 1.51 Verdigris Idol:

This type of verdigris, like the Rusted Golden Idol effect, is more of a painted texture, and less of a material. In Pix’s version, three different materials are used. The effect is painted on in 2.5D, just like in Pix’s Rusted Golden Idol zscript.

STEP 1:

[img]http://www2.zbrushcentral.com/zbc_uploads/user_image-1034465924lzx.jpg[/img]

Start with a black/green base. Basically paint the entire object black or black/green. Use the simple brush and a low specular modified Basic Material and ZAdd OFF. Keep if off for the next step too. I used the same material Pixolator used for the first pass of rust, but I removed the noise and color bump. Select a slightly lighter green and splatter or dab it on in spots. Then change to the smudge brush, freehand stroke, ZAdd off, and modify the Color Blend in the Smudge Tool, and the RGB Intensity and draw size to get the smears looking right for the scale or size of object. Brush down the object in the paths that water is likely to flow. Verdigris is, after all, corrosion induced by moisture. Switch back to the simple brush, a splatter-type alpha, the Drag Rect or Spray Brush Stroke, and another slightly-lighter green (still relatively dark). Put a little of this color in and then switch back to the smudge tool and blend the new color in.

This may be good enough for the average Verdigris effect. You could stop here.

STEP 2:

[img]http://www2.zbrushcentral.com/zbc_uploads/user_image-1034465941xxz.jpg[/img]

Verdigris can also develop white powdering encrustations, which also disolve in rain and create greenish white smears. Use a splatter-alpha, like #23, or even just a single dot alpha, the Simple Brush, the Spray Stroke with Color set .01 or 0, Flow .1, and maybe a higher placement for more randomness. NO ZAdd yet. Set the color to white. Test Draw size, and spray a few specks here and there. Switch to the smudge tool again, and smear the specks down until you mainly just have whitish smears and no specks left.

STEP 3:

[img]http://www2.zbrushcentral.com/zbc_uploads/user_image-1034465959kkc.jpg[/img]

Now use a Basic material with color bump and noise. I used Pixolator’s second rust material. These materials will exist in your Material pallette after running the Rusted Golden Idol zscript. Use dot or splater-alpha, a Brush tool that will give you ‘3D’ effects, the Spray Brush stroke, and now use Zadd. Select a white color. The object is to add some white nodules of powder.

Now the verdigris is complete, but for an idol on which some sort of animal sacrifice may have been performed, we should add some more ‘stuff’. For ‘mud’ or ‘dirt’ or some other type of corrosion, use the same brush/material setup we just used for the white encrustations, and select other colors. Apply ‘randomly’.

For blood splatters, use alpha 23, the spray brush or drag rect stroke, and the simple brush with ZAdd OFF. Select a very dark red color, and add some random spots, speckles, etc. Switch to the smudge brush and smear half or more of the blood spots into the surface, creating smears down the sides in the likely paths that blood would flow. Leave some spots un-smeared.

:qu: I have my own question now: I used a color-bump material on the 'floor'. How can I add blood spots to the floor without affecting the bump of the material? The color of the spots creates a strong bump effect, and it makes it look like the blood ate into the surface of the floor. :qu:

Here is a try at adding blood to the floor. I can’t get around the blood interacting with the floor’s material, which has color bump.

:qu:
Is there an easy way to be able to paint better looking blood spots and other stains on the floor? :qu:

Thanks,

Sure!

Put the floor on a separate layer. After you’ve done everything else in your scene (including finalizing the lighting), make sure that Flatten Layers is turned on in the render palette (its default setting, so you probably don’t need to worry about that, and then Bake the floor layer. This will convert it to the Flat Color material, with material shading being baked into the color. Now there will be no color bump to worry about when you add the blood.

I tried baking before I asked the question! Really! But I must have had some setting wrong or been on the wrong layer and didn’t notice it, and I just assumed that if I baked a layer, I couldn’t paint on it. Tried it again and it worked, but I made a bloody mess of it: :wink:

Hi :slight_smile:

I would like to get it this material.
Anyone please could send me :cool:

Fine thanks

mail: druid_cwb@ibestvip.com.br

P.S. The script no running full in my ZB2 :frowning: and I woukd like to get it one version full this material for me use in 3DSMAX, it’s possible?