Moderator Follow User Gallery

Default Displaying displacement maps in ZBrush

Sometimes you might want to display a displacement map in ZBrush. This is how you do it:

*Before creating a displacement map your model must have UVs. You can use UV Master or the options in the Tool>UV Map menu to assign UVs to your model.

DispMap.jpg

1. Create the displacement map by going to the lowest subdivision level. Press Tool>Displacement Map>Create DispMap.

2. Once created the map will be switched on. To get it to display you need to have a texture displayed also. To have a white texture (that doesn't show) make sure white is selected in the color selector then press Tool>Texture Map>New Txtr.

3. For the displacement map to show as displaced geometry you need to turn on Tool>Displacement Map>Mode.

4. Set the Tool>Display Properties>DSmooth slider to 1.

5. Turn off the Quick button in the Transform palette. These last two steps are necessary to give the model a smooth appearance.

New Member Follow User Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by marcus_civis View Post
    Sometimes you might want to display a displacement map in ZBrush. This is how you do it:

*Before creating a displacement map your model must have UVs. You can use UV Master or the options in the Tool>UV Map menu to assign UVs to your model.

DispMap.jpg

1. Create the displacement map by going to the lowest subdivision level. Press Tool>Displacement Map>Create DispMap.

2. Once created the map will be switched on. To get it to display you need to have a texture displayed also. To have a white texture (that doesn't show) make sure white is selected in the color selector then press Tool>Texture Map>New Txtr.

3. For the displacement map to show as displaced geometry you need to turn on Tool>Displacement Map>Mode.

4. Set the Tool>Display Properties>DSmooth slider to 1.

5. Turn off the Quick button in the Transform palette. These last two steps are necessary to give the model a smooth appearance.

Hey i am new to zbrush and i noticed this post was back 2011 , well this is 2013 while your explanation are perfect , i have 1 question that really got me confused

lets say i sculpted in zbrush , after i finish i have to do retopology either in 3d-coat or any program and UV it , now that Retopology have UV already while the sculpted version dont have any UV , any idea how to get displacement map from sculpted version and then apply it in topology one ? would appreciate an answer

Moderator Follow User Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by jake60 View Post
    Hey i am new to zbrush and i noticed this post was back 2011 , well this is 2013 while your explanation are perfect , i have 1 question that really got me confused

lets say i sculpted in zbrush , after i finish i have to do retopology either in 3d-coat or any program and UV it , now that Retopology have UV already while the sculpted version dont have any UV , any idea how to get displacement map from sculpted version and then apply it in topology one ? would appreciate an answer
    You can use the Project All function in the Tool>SubTool sub-palette (Project section). The Project All operation will project sculptural detail from a source mesh to a target mesh. The meshes don’t have to have similar topology but should be broadly similar in shape. Source and target meshes should be SubTools in the same list, and for best results should be the only two visible SubTools. The other settings in the Tool>SubTool>Project section will affect the result of the projection.

New Member Follow User Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by marcus_civis View Post
    You can use the Project All function in the Tool>SubTool sub-palette (Project section). The Project All operation will project sculptural detail from a source mesh to a target mesh. The meshes don***8217;t have to have similar topology but should be broadly similar in shape. Source and target meshes should be SubTools in the same list, and for best results should be the only two visible SubTools. The other settings in the Tool>SubTool>Project section will affect the result of the projection.
    Great Info thx , so it works kinda like Projection in 3ds max i guess, will try it out