ZBrushCentral

Monday Night Challenge 12 Water/Waterfalls

As the subject says, this week we want water. Make it flow, show us still waters. Waterfalls over rocks etc. Think wet and do it all in Zbrush. A good chance to play with some of the new features.

Have fun and share any tips you learn along the way.

Sorry I missed the meeting but I am delighted that one of you nice people took my idea forward. Thank you! Now I better get busy and create something. This should be fun.

Thanks Again
Donna AKA Northstarr

:slight_smile:

well no time like the present to get started…
There is a place in Murfreesboro Tennessee called the Stones River. It is just like what I show here, nothing but stones and crystal clear water. I have had some of the best times when I was younger in the late 70s and early 80s fishing on this river. I would wade out to my waist and fish for small mouth bass in this river. The clear water made it challenging for sure, but I landed some of the best table fare you ever sank your teeth into back then. Of course the one draw back of that river is the fact that it was loaded with cotton mouth water moccasins (snakes), at least in the parts I fished. But it was worth sharing the water with them, if not for the beauty but also for the tremendous fishing and outstanding frog gigging. Thought I would share that tid bit of info. One of the civil war battles was fought there was well. The Battle of Stones River. Also it is an excellant stretch of water to hunt fossils. Anyways, thanks for allowing me to share some bits from my youth.

Creekbank on Stones River

[Gallery Entry]

This is how I made the image if you are interested. I will hit on the highlights of the creation. 3 layers, layer 2 I took a photo of some rocks and made an alpha. I then took the 3d terrain tool and smoothed it down and sized it and applied the alpha tool to it under the tools/modifiers/selection/alp…then I went into the draw pallette and turned the view of the plane sideways and played with the depth and inbed setting and then went back to the deformations pallette and began inflating and smoothing the image out some more…thus giving the rock alpha on the plane depth…I placed the rock scene/plane where i wanted it and then snapshot it. I then changed materials to the jellybean material and sized the rock plain down thus creating a reflection and depth into the water. I gave the surface perspective by using the same material with the simple brush and the drag retangle stroke and changed the alpha to the thin doughnut shape. I changed the width and height of the brush in the draw pallette and then began dragging out the rippled circles, I changed to a few more alphas doing a bit of the same. I then smudge the surface fo the water a bit. The background is just spraystroked stars. I then painted the trees and stumps etc in black RGB only giving the silloette on the ridge of the pic. I drag stroked a few clouds the same way on that layer with the intensity lightened a bit. I then worked the rocks over with the new Z paintbrush in bristle mode and added a few highlights and shading. I think that is basically all that went into this rendering. I converted it to jpg and signed it in psp7. That is the jist of it though. Hope this may help someone.
:+1:

i have a question. are you allowed to post more than one pic. i have been following these monday night projects for the last few weeks and wish to do them, but i am a no tallen ass klown so i will wait to post anything till i get better. though i have went along and tried the challenge by myself… well, i will just say that i need practice compared to all yours.

this is not a contest FO…this is just a way to help us all get better at this wonderful program we call Zbrush. It is open to everyone no matter what level you are at in your work. You can post as many images as you want, but the work needs to be done in zbrush. Under your image when posting please add the following to insure its included in the weekly gallery for the challenge… [Gallery Entry] I look forward to seeing where you are at with your zbrush work. You can paint it, model it smudge it or if you come up with something new in zbrush go for it…we all learn from each other and this is a perfect chance to share and to learn…I sincerly encourage you and everyone else to enter these challenges. :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1:

why thank you for clearing that up for me… i still am not sure i will post my image… may work on a better one at school, kuz the one i have now is kinda gh3tt0, but i guess for my ammount i’ve worked with zbrush, it isnt too bad… ill think about it.

(and the whole ALL ZBRUSH thing is gonna be kinda hard… im used to being able to go in and ph0toch0p all of my pics… but i gues it is a way to learn!)

Well this is the first, I hope I will have the time to do another. If not I will repost my ‘Twin Falls’ image, which a lot of folks have not seen.

[Gallery Entry]

alright, i got another one done, and i guess i will share it… even though it has no significan learning or other value… called metalic fountains of Selphrohon…

Interesting abstract waterfalls, fuxor. :slight_smile:

Ron H: That is a tremendous piece :+1: I didn’t know the background of it but it is definately evident in your work - some of that comes through even before reading your bio, wonderful images can be. :slight_smile: :smiley:
The simplicity and depth of it reflected in the gray/white really sets it off.

Btw, I love that background, it adds just the appropriate delicate depth, and you gotta err, love the civil war. :wink:

This is another try ! The Surf
[Gallery Entry]

Waterfall of sorts…I just wouldn’t drink from this quagmire of waste. Same method for the rocks as my Stones River image. Four layers. Deformed enlongated torus for the drainage pipe. Waterfall itself 2.5d simpebrush with several RGB additions and alphas used afterwards…Didn’t turn out exactly as I wanted, but is close.

Killin’ the Planet

[Gallery Entry]

I like your image A lot Ron. That is a very good drain pipe. :slight_smile: :+1: :+1: :+1:

thnx Joe and Gummie…this has proven to be a nice fun diversion today for sure. I guess this one will suffice also as a water image. Old head model, arms, and feet…the robe and spear are recent additions to my tools…the water is a 3d cirle and deformed torus’s. Was a fun image to do.

Z Keeper of the Water Fountain of Z
(coryny title but o well :slight_smile: )

[Gallery Entry]

I’m cheating a little 'cos this is an old
image.It is however all zbrush and it is
water

oops wrong image…sorry

fabulous entries everybody! in mine (1st?) Pixologics fish is taking a swim close to DeeVees elegant waterfall :slight_smile:

[GalleryEntry]

how done: making stones out of cube 3d, default texture - errr, the stony looking one :smiley: material tweaking until the stones get a fluid look themselves. duplicate layer, best render with GI shadows, bake. on same layer i added the fishes + a hires gelshader zsphere with very reduced x-size when initializing. rgb-intensity about 20, refraction about 40, methinks, i tried a few. adding deformations>noise. some fiddling with lights. render without shadows. on re-imported export :slight_smile: i did some postwork with inversed contrast-brush and such and a little render:adjustment (tweaking curve).

• juandel

Come on guys, waterfalls. ! :slight_smile: Lol, no panoramic lakes. :wink:

Cool water, btw…
But there’s gotta be a waterfall in there somewhere, right? Or am I being a tad bit picky… And hey, Ron, where’s the waterfall in your river?! :smiley:

For the sake of the “theme” :smiley: in this thread, I will post an older image I did some while back while I was on my mouse. (As I am now, until my pen gets fixed :slight_smile: )

PS, who started the confusion with the gallery entry tag? :smiley: Wonderful sheep syndrome we have displayed here, there was no spacing in the original entry tag. Not sure if it matters but if there is a script it might. http://www.pixolator.com/zbc-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=009041

Say, how exactly is the gallery updated/created?.. I hope it’s not manual. :wink:

[GalleryEntry]

My humble pic. First time I have ever tried water.

[Gallery Entry]

Cold water in your face.
This one looks a bit wet then? :wink:

[GalleryEntry]

MadMax you are quite right. I thought it was quite clear that water, OR waterfalls is what the challenge is supposed to be.