ZBrushCentral

XGoZ plugin – Single Click Softimage to Zbrush to Softimage - Update

XGoZ is another “Lite” approach to link Zbrush with Softimage like GoZ. It is not a Single Click workflow but provides Functions to Export - Import Multiple Objs between two applications and automatically set up shading networks in Softimage.

It is inspired by Jester’s GoSoftimageLite! I developed it as an exercise in my attempt to learn Zscript. I used the examples from Marcus Civis, especially that amazing loop “Do all Subtools”. My Softimage version is 7.01 Essentials and I used Jscript. I tried to eliminate errors… Who knows though… I hope someone is willing to spend some time to test it and give me feedback. [attach=254098]xgozui.jpg[/attach] About the Concept: XGoZ plugin provides Multiple Subtools Function, Texture Map, Displacement Map and Normal Map Set up. The idea is to establish the link through Log Files containing the list of Last Exported Objs from each Application. Every time a user changes Project or creates a new one in Softimage, XGoZFolder is added (if doesn’t exist) at this active Softimage Project. A dat file (in the XGoZFolderData folder) informs XGoZ about the active path. This XGoZFolder is the one that will hold the exported objs, Maps and the Log Files. I decided to use log files instead of reading all files directly from XGoZFolder because I wanted to deal with last exported objs only, without deleting any other file except overwriting existing files during export. Doing so I can choose the file(s) I want to transfer. In addition XGoZFolder is Project Based and gives me the option to work on a different Project without losing my previous work. At least I think so…Maybe there is a better way… Installation: Download the Zip File : XGoZ Plugin.zip. The XGoZ Plugin folder contains the files XGoZ.xsiaddon and XGoZ_Plugin.zsc along with the XGoZFolderData folder. 1. Copy XGoZ_Plugin.zsc along with the XGoZFolderData folder to the ZBrush 4.0\ZStartup\ZPlugs folder. 2. Drag and Drop XGoZ.xsiaddon on a Softimage viewport. 3. Restart Softimage Go to File -> Preferences -> Custom -> XGozFolderDataSettings and pick your ZBrush 4.0 folder. 4. Find “XGoZ Export” and “XGoZ Import” under Get-> Primitive menu or get the XGoZ toolbar under menu View-> Toolbars->XGoZ. 5. Start ZBrush and find the XGoZ Plugin under Zplugin menu. Workflow: Step 1 (Softimage): Select one or more Polymesh(es) and press “XGoZ Export” to export Selected meshes as Objs to XGoZFolder. The XSIexportedFiles.Log is created in the XGoZFolder, containing the list of exported Objs. Step 2 (Zbrush): Press “Import All XGoZ” Button to Import Last Exported Objs From Softimage. Zbrush reads XSIexportedFiles.Log and imports all Obj Files. If there are more than one Objs they will be added as Subtools to the first imported Obj. In case you already have a 3d mesh active as Current Tool, XGoZ will check if a Subtool has the same name as an Obj in the Log and it will update the Subtool. Else Objs will be added as new Subtools at the end of Subtool list. Press “StoreMTAll” if you want to Store Morph Target for the imported meshes. XGoZ will set the Subdivision for every Subtool at Level 1 and store MT, only if the Subtool has not a MT stored and it will set the Subdivision back to its prior Level. Do your Stuff … Create Maps if you want…and… Press “SwitchMTAll” if you want to Switch Morph Target before export. XGoZ will set the Subdivision for every Subtool at Level 1 and Switch MT only if the Subtool has a MT stored .It will leave the Subdivision at Level 1. Step 3 (Zbrush): Press “Export All XGoZ” Button to Export all Subtools to XGoZFolder. XGoZ will set the Subdivision for every Subtool at Level 1 and Export all Subtools.The ZBExportedFiles.Log is created in the XGoZFolder, containing the list of exported Objs and their Maps (if they exist). Or… Press “Export Visible XGoZ” Button to Export all Visible Subtools to XGoZFolder. The ZBExportedFiles.Log is created in the XGoZFolder, containing the list of exported Objs and their Maps (if they exist). If your Tool has only one Subtool (it is just a single mesh Tool), XGoZ will ask you if you want to export it. In case you click “Ok Export”, XGoZ will export it ignoring its visibility! Step 4 (Softimage): Press “XGoZ Import” Button to Import Last Exported Objs From Zbrush. XGoZ reads ZBExportedFiles.Log and imports Objs. If there is a mesh in the scene that has the same name as an Obj in the Log, XGoZ deletes the old mesh and its shading network (clears all unused image clips, sources and Materials) and replaces the old mesh with the new one. In addition a new Render Tree is created, ifcorresponding Maps exist and the Shading Network is named based on each obj name. Import Function tries to maintain hierarchy and animation. Please excuse my English… :o Thank you For Your Time, Kostas

Attachments

XGoZ Plugin.zip (43.2 KB)

xgozui.jpg

thank you kostas. it’s working! i’m happy someone is still trying to get the latest features of zb working in my beloved xsi v7.01!!

cheers and happy coding!

chem!

Thank you very much chem!!! I hope you find it useful!

Welcome to the club :slight_smile:

Thank you so much Jester!!!
Your idea for GoSoftimageLite is a true inspiration! I have studied your addon alot, before I manage to figure out how to make XGoZ!

I am looking forward for the Real Thing !!!!!!:)

I’m working on it, now I might have time to finish. Actually what I have to do now is to automate the transaction between Softimage and ZBrush, the rest is done :slight_smile:

Thank very much Kostas,

it seems to work with my Softimage 7.01 Ess.

@Jester
this sounds good.

Again, I will thank you both for your great work. :+1:

• Jester Keep up Your Great Work!!!

• Thank you very much hirnlaich!

I hope it works in other Softimage Versions as well …:qu:

Added Single Click Action

This update includes XGoZService for establishing Single Click connection between ZBrush And Softimage through UdpProtocol. XGoZService starts on Softimage startup but you can stop it calling XGoZServiceStop command. You can enable it again calling XGoZServiceStart command. The Connection uses the local host “127.0.0.1” and the port “11001”. Softimage Additions:

1. XGoZOneClick Toolbar.
  2. XGoZServiceStart custom command.
  3. XGoZServiceStop custom command.
  4. XGoZSendToZB custom command.
  5. XGoZSendToZB menu.
ZBrush XGoZ Updates:

1. The XGoZ Buttons have been rearranged and the export Buttons are now on the top.
  2. Added XGoZ Button to Send current Subtool to Softimage on Single Click.
  3. Export Buttons have been updated For Single Click action.
Installation:

Remove the old installation!!!

1. Copy XGoZ_Plugin.zsc along with the XGoZFolderData folder to the ZBrush 4.0\ZStartup\ZPlugs folder.
  2. Drag and Drop XGoZ.xsiaddon on a Softimage viewport.
  3. Restart Softimage Go to File -> Preferences -> Custom -> XGozFolderDataSettings and pick your ZBrush 4.0 folder. Close Preferences to inform XGoZ for your Softimage startup path (bin folder)!

4. Find “XGoZ Send To ZB” under Get-> Primitive menu or get the XGoZOneClick toolbar under menu View-> Toolbars-> XGoZOneClick.
  5. Assign Zscript files “.zsc” to open with ZBrush (set ZBrush executable as the default application)
Workflow changes:

When you want to send your selected mesh(es) to ZBrush click the “XGoZ Send To ZB” or the icon in the toolbar “XGoZOneClick”. ZBrush will import your 3dObject(s). If it is not running it will start and import the 3dObject(s). When you want to send your Subtool(s) to Softimage click the “XGoZ” (or “Export All XGoZ” or “Export Visible XGoZ” ) Button. Softimage imports your 3dObject(s). If it is not running it will start and then import the 3dObject(s). This is accomplished with the ZBtoXSI.exe , which is an Udpclient, so must allow it to access the local host and port 11001. Remarks You will need Microsoft.Net Framework 4.. XGoZFolderData now contains ZBtoXSI.exe , XGoZAutoImport.zsc, XsiPath.dat, and the ActiveXsiProject.dat.

I have tested it with Softimage 7.01 and it works.
I have tested it with Mod Tool 6 also and it works.
I have tested it with XSI Foundation 6.02 and it works.

Added version for Softimage v2012 - tested and works.

As always use it at your own risk. Thank you again :) Kostas

Attachments

XGoZ Plugin Single Click.zip (60.9 KB)

XGoZ Plugin Single Click v2012.zip (61 KB)

Fantastic !

It works like a dream …only problem I have is that it doesn’t automatically update on the trip from ZB to XSI although not a problem as I only have to click one button to reimport.

Thanks very much for doing this dude.

Thank you Kaleid for your time to test it!!!
Can you tell me which zip file have you install and in which version of softimage did you test it?

Thank you

I tested it out on xsi 7.01 x64.I tried flagging zbtoxsi.exe as run as administrator but that didn’t work.It works great although I find it a little odd that you put the exporter in the primitive section although I suppose obtaining a mesh from zbrush is getting an object.I havent tested any of the other functionality as yet but will do next week.If you’re planning an update some of the functionality of gmax( matcap transfer and autogenerated displacement map render tree hookup ) would be a great addition.

Thanks once again ,been waiting for something like this to turn up for a good while now.

also another cool feature would be to check if the sent mesh haa an envelope operator ,if it does then save out the weight editor preset then on return trip from zbrush the new mesh would have an envelope operator reapplied and the preset reimported …would be a totally non linear workflow.Maybe using gator to do it would be also an option which could also transfer any morphing data onto the new mesh.

Kaleid
Thanks for your suggestions !!!
I was thinking about retaining envelope information and implementing Shape functions in a future update . The matcap transfer will be interesting also.
As for the exporter I put it there to be together with the other stuff. I Supose i must put them all in a separate menu in the next update.
For now i will try to fix the ZBtoXSI client. I am on a x86 platform so we 'll see. Does the XGoZService load on your xsi 7.01 x64?

thank you very much for your effort :)

Hi Kostas

Ive installed your plugin on another computer with the same 64 bit operating system.This time it all works apart from single click trip from XSI to ZB although it works perfectly from ZB to XSI

XSI throws an error when trying to single click export but it does actually export the mesh but doesnt auto import into ZB.
Ive attached a screengrab of the error it throws.

Attachments

XSI701_ONCLICKERROR.jpg

Hi! Kaleid :slight_smile:
It is exciting for me that it works on X64.

XSI throws an error when trying to single click export but it does actually export the mesh but doesnt auto import into ZB.

OK ! I Think I found it. Have you assign the "XGoZAutoImport.zsc" to open with ZBrush? If not Please do so. Set ZBrush executable as the default application for "zsc" filetype.

Thank you

I tried flagging zbtoxsi.exe as run as administrator but that didn’t work.
ZBtoXSI.exe needs Microsoft .Net Framework 4 Installed in order to work.
Have you Check it?

Hi Kostas

Great !! Got it working now .Works like a charm …and quick too !
Thanks for the help ,and sorry about not following the instructions properly.

Really looking forward to the next update.

Thanks again

thx for this script. Love good news for XSI !:lol: - will you updating for si 2012sp1, too ?

guys is it possible to get this plugin fully working with Softimage 2011 (64-bit)?

Everything works really well apart from the Single click Journey from ZB to SI.
I tried changing the path in ‘XsiPath.dat’ to the bin folder for 2011 but still no auto import in Softimage. It’s not huge deal breaker as Kaleid mentioned earlier as it’s only 1 extra click in SI to import the obj but would be nice to have it fully functioning.

cheers for this though Kostas.