ZBrushCentral

The Last Cause :: pre production

<b>[VIEW <span class="font4">video on Kickstarter](http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/thelastcause/the-last-cause-feature-film)</b></span>

Hey guys,

some of you have probably seen the <b>[article](http://features.cgsociety.org/story_custom.php?story_id=6226)</b> of [The Last Cause](http://www.thelastcausemovie.com/)  on CGsociety's frontpage, but nevertheless I want to share with you  some stuff that was not featured in the article, at least not in close  detail.

We've used Zbrush extensively on the pre production. First,  to sculpt characters like the mutant you see below, second, for quickly  prototyping rough design ideas and concepts:) On base on that rough prototype sculptures I've modelled the final models using the topology tools.

Below you see a character done in Zbrush.
              It was sculpted within Zbrush by Christian Rüsseler whose day job is 3D character artist at Crytek.

<!--[attach=252100]mutantchris.jpg[/attach]-->

<!--[attach=252106]winged1200.jpg[/attach]-->

Here’s a compositing break down of the mutant. Rendered within Cinema 4D, using VrayforC4D for the skin and Cinema’s build-in renderer for background and the feathered wing on the mutant’s back.

Furthermore I've used zbrush to design the bipedal robot and the "Shell-Suit", weared by the mech-pilots.

<!--[attach=252102]duo.jpg[/attach]-->

<!--[attach=252103]gw2.jpg[/attach]-->

<!--[attach=252108]gw1.jpg[/attach]-->

<!--[attach=252109]shell0.jpg[/attach]-->

<!--[attach=252110]shell1.jpg[/attach]-->

<!--[attach=252101]shell3.jpg[/attach]-->

<!--[attach=252105]shell2.jpg[/attach]-->

Hope you like our stuff:) Thanks for viewing!

The TLC volunteer pre production team:

Tuan Nguyen :small_orange_diamond: Vehicle co-designer and modeller

Timur Mutsaev (day-job: Principal Concept Artist @ Crytek) :small_orange_diamond: Concept Artist for characters & props

Christian Rüsseler (day-job: 3D Character Artist @ Crytek) :small_orange_diamond: 3D character Artist

Eliott Lilly (day-job: Concept Artist @ id) :small_orange_diamond: Mech Designer

Linh Mai :small_orange_diamond: design/modeling/shading/comp/art direction![mutantchris.jpg|1100x1014](upload://lIxicHpYyWxPRd1QTEToIpLZKOc.jpeg)![shell3.jpg|520x833](upload://tUvpNn4CQiOg4Wu3tvlqoT1d9J4.jpeg)![duo.jpg|1100x1038](upload://ktXLZhoU4tZZjLU7tAWiWBn3Bya.jpeg)![gw2.jpg|1100x887](upload://xc31iLDijh9FFtvD1f3sVSpQeAT.jpeg)![shell2.jpg|1100x1057](upload://toUstMdYdHa7cOiM6A7cB01mQH1.jpeg)![winged1200.jpg|1100x1200](upload://bgdDKFXotk27F6JP3narkDpMORW.jpeg)![gw1.jpg|1000x678](upload://kki2SIddZamwAw0g0r9IiILFxBO.jpeg)![shell0.jpg|1100x1440](upload://g446Bo4WrhN3A7XIyXONk8Sdtte.jpeg)![shell1.jpg|467x875](upload://iM464IW328GtmFaabAzbNQrDvPC.jpeg)

Attachments

Glad to see this here :smiley: I never get tired of looking at these concepts. :+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:

Is this what happens when you take a bunch of talented people, give them sugary caffeine drinks and lock them in a room together with workstations? :D…I’m keeping an eye on this, please keep posting stuff!

Great work!! :+1:

Explendid work! Congratulations to all people envolved on this project, the results are terrific.

Great Stuff! I love the concept art

Great stuff indeed:D! It hurts my head a little too, so many layers:confused:

This is looking really awesome !

I’ve one (BIG) concern, though. I didn’t see anywhere in this thread or in the video, you guys mentioning your sources of influence and wow, they are REALLY obvious… The little leg robot is almost a rip-off from Metal Gear Solid 4, I think that you guys could at least refer to it. Actually, I can see a really big influence (almost a copy sometimes) in almost all the design. From Tron, to MGS, Deus Ex, etc.

I love the quality of the work, but I still can’t understand how people can post something like this on a CG forum and not mentioning anything…

Feng zhu did an awesome video not so long ago where he talks about the difference between Inspiration and Reference. You guys should watch it :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/user/FZDSCHOOL#p/u/5/MDuayEzH8c4

That´s looking really impressive. Awesome stuff…Congrats to everyone who are in this project. Phenomenal work!:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:

wow - thx for showin the comps - Monster looks wicked :smiley: :+1:

wow
สุดยอด

I absolutely love this !!!

nice that was really inspiring !

Simply put… amazing! A-mazing! How long will you be accepting donations? I’m a broke college student but hopefully will have a job soon and would like to contribute.

Well actually the mech designs have their real life inspiration shown in this video. This is also probably were Metal Gear got inspiration for these legs and this is the video I thought of once I saw the biped turret.

The quadrapped is called “the mule”. Look it up on youtube

The mule robot posted on youtube (date 2006)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpBG-nSRcrQ

Metal gear 4 (this is the one the legs were used:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_Gear_Solid_4:_Guns_of_the_Patriots
(date 2008)

the rest of the stuff (suits, vehicles etc) is very difficult to attribute to Metal Gear, since a lot of games and especially manga have had these elements long before metal gear.

this is looking really good…
i sure be following the progress of your little adventure:)
looking forward to see it in the cinemas…

-r

Love this style, really slick and gritty, just pledged some money, here’s hoping you guys get to make this :+1:

Awesome…! this looks just awesome!

While i think the project is amazing and i will fallow it now i got to ask why the hell did this got into top row ? Only 1 pic of all posted was made in zbrush and its a simple monster head bust O_o I would hate this forum to feature things that are just great but not really connected to zbrush we got any bigger sites for that ;/