ZBrushCentral

Cave Eel

Here’s the final image of piece I’ve been working on here and there:

And Here’s a larger resolution image

And here’s a link to a version where the pending meal is nekked.

Again, it all started out as just the Eel, then kind of evolved into a whole piece. I was looking to play around with a large amount of detail to create something that would be difficult to do in a real 3D application because of polycounts, etc. I wish ZB had more control over lighting and materials though…

There was at one time going to be some type of warrior between the creature and her victim defending the poor helpless soul, but I decided it would have just been too much.

I’ll also be posting some other images that show how I handled some of the post work in Photoshop.

For now, I’d love to hear some impressions of the piece.

<EDIT> Mr Hamlet’s post reminded me that I forgot to post an observation… For some reason, I was not able to get it to NOT look like a prop in a long lost Harryhausen movie…<EDIT>user_image-1073333650eml.jpg

Now that is cool. Very, very good job! It’s almost in a style similar to King Kong, but done much better!

I didn’t look at the nekkid pic, and thanks for deciding to post this version instead. :smiley:

I don’t really know what the top row in the forum is for, but if it’s for great art, then I’d say this needs to be up there! :smiley:

thats a real monster! and i like the landscape to!

this is awsome, great work :+1: :+1:

Beutifully done Monkeyfarm, great scene! 50.

I like the way this fearsome being lines up all of them skulls!! Maybe they rumble in it’s belly to much after eating, so it kind of decorates the front yard using them :smiley: :D!?
:+1: :+1: :+1: for the beast and the scenery!!

Well, I did look at the nekkid one, couldn’t resist! Anyhow my first thought was that this pending meal, would hardly be a meal for that monster! More like an appetizer…
Seriously though, well done pic… love the detail!

:smiley:

Very nice composition + modeling , there’s really at lot of detail to look at in the High resolution version :+1: :+1: :+1:

Up menu for sure :+1: :+1: :+1:
Pilou

Great pic! Love the landscape and the altar…and the skulls by the slime pond there too!

Great job of texturing etc!

Thanks for the kind words guys…

FYI, the “high” resolution image is actually a 50% reduction of the full rez. Yep, this was a BIG image…

When I was working on it, all 16 of ZB’s layers we used, so when I would save it, at one point the WIP was 123MB…

Wow!!!
The Cecil B Demille of Zbrush.
Is Fay Wray still alive?
How about Brad Pitt as the maiden?

:+1: :+1: :+1: no comment!! :stuck_out_tongue:

I figured I’d post a few other behind the scenes images as well…

Here’s a mix between the textured version and a GI looking one:

Larger Version

Here’s a montage of the various stages I used to make adjstments in Photoshop.

If anyone is interested, I can go into how I did it using the layer color mask, and depth mask.

I understand the need for the layer masks, but I’m a little stumped as to what the depth mask does. Depth of Field? If you’d like to share your technique I’d love to hear it.

Depth mask was indeed used to try out various DOF effects per THIS technique.

But it was also used to add the fog at various depths as well as to provide a way to adjust curves and levels at various depths but using the depth mask as a selection in Photoshop, or more typically, duplicating the raw version, performing some type of modification to it (blur for instance) and then using the depth mask as the adjusted version’s (or adjustment layer’s in the case of curves and levels) layer mask. Then my performing a level operation on the layer mask you can control the “depth” of the effect in the final image.

Here’s a really exaggerated example, along with a screenshot of the layer pallet to give you an idea.

Great image! And thanks for the mini tut.

Awsome work! The detail of the land really sets the mood.
I am also interested in the Depth Mask. :smiley:

Hey MonkeyFarm, sorry for not posting when I first saw your new work, but I just wanted to say it’s frick’n great! Rock on! Just one little ctitique I have is that maybe the woman should be larger in scale(in relation to the pillar). I think then you could better convey the horror and fear that she is feeling, while also strengthening the narrative of this piece. Well done, Bravo! :+1:

ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLE :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:
CONGRATULATIONS!!! wooooooooow!!!