Default Polycount Brawl - Super Smash Bros - Mario - Cascardi

Hi everyone!!

I've just entered the Polycount contest Brawl and here is the WIP image of my entry:

preview.jpg

Mario_20-04-11.jpg

The idea is to make a "Strongman Mario" like those guys who compete lifting tree trunks, pulling trucks and stuff... I just hope I can finish on time...

Comments are welcome!!
    See you on the dark side of the moon

My blog
    My YouTube Channel

Senior Member Follow User Gallery

I really like the idea behind this, it would look such better if you got rid of the ab muscles though, and please could you tell me the proccess behind your chest hair
    Portfolio

Current Showreel

My Thead ( Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle, Centaur and other)

2011 University graduate looking for employment

Practice, practice, practice. Every skill is perishable,. Only by constant practice will you be able to hone your craft.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky3d
    it would look such better if you got rid of the ab muscles
    Exactly what I was thinking too. I guess there has to be a balance between fat and muscles. I know strongmans with low bodyfat can have blown out stomacs, because of the food still being prossessed etc behind the muscles inside their intestines, and i'm quite sure this is where you got that idea from, but their stomacs are never "fatlike".

Add some fat on his arms, or remove some from his fatty areas. ATM the fat/muscle ratio could be improved. Bloodvessels shouldnt be symmetrical, hopefully you've done em with layers, so you can remove the layer and add a new that's not symmetrical.
    "It's never too late to learn a new skill" - Lex Luthor

DeviantArt Gallery
    Gallery at 500px
    My music at Soundcloud

Hi, and thanks for the comments!!

There are still some things I'm not happy with, like the symmetrical veins and the hairs going up his neck. But I'll focus on the clothes for now - as they are still just a couple of polys and nothing more... If there is time after I finish them I'll work on the details a little more...

My blog
    My YouTube Channel

Hi again!
    Here is another WIP image...
    preview.jpg

WIP_20-04-11.jpg

And, about the chest hair, after painting the skin, I used the standard brush on spray mode and an alpha to simulate the hairs.

And, again, comments are welcome!!!

My blog
    My YouTube Channel

Hi again,

Here is another update...

preview.jpg WIP_21-04-11_02.jpg

...next step: accessories!!!

My blog
    My YouTube Channel

Hi again!!

Here I am again, this time with two updates - for the first time outside Zbrush. The first one is a Maya render using Mental Ray. The second is the first real time test on Unreal Engine using three maps: Difuse for the color, Cavity for the specular and Normal for the normals..

preview.jpg

WIP_22-04-11.jpg

WIP_22-04-11_Real-time-resize.jpg

My blog
    My YouTube Channel

can we see the wire frame to the low poly ?

Looking awesome by the way, but you do have some stiff competition with the other Mario creations
    Portfolio

Current Showreel

Practice, practice, practice. Every skill is perishable,. Only by constant practice will you be able to hone your craft.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky3d
    can we see the wire frame to the low poly ?

Looking awesome by the way, but you do have some stiff competition with the other Mario creations
    Sure! Here they are:

WIP_23-04-11-wire1.jpg WIP_23-04-11-wire2.jpg

So far there are 11896 tris, but I'll probably have to clean things up a little, because I want to model some other things to put on his belt and maybe something hanging from his pockets... And for the beauty poses I'll model a half eaten mushroom, a kind of "Oh.. that's why he's so big!!"

And about the competition, Yes, I know it's hard! that's why I don't even consider getting close to win anything, I'm doing this most as a portfolio work. As I'm a starter I have to have something to show of....

My blog
    My YouTube Channel

Your wire frame is not very clean,
    one example is - look at the arms for instance there are not many tris on the inner side of the arms, and way too many on the outer side of the arm.

There needs to be an even distribution of tris and much better edge flow, by doing this your model will look a million times better, you'll also get better optimization freeing a lot of tris to then use somewhere else

Ideally you need to give his clothing some thickness, as they look just 1 tri thick, like where the straps are
    Portfolio

Current Showreel

I agree with Sparky3D. Your topology is all over the place and doesn't flow very well. The arms are a good example. Do a flat shaded render and look at the silhouette. You're edges appear very smooth on the backs of the forearms and will show sharp edges around the elbows and biceps. Some of those polys could be easily moved to smooth out some areas of the lower pants and round off the bottoms of the shoes a bit.

I understand you're going for a muscular look and it is based off of a fictional video game character, but thinking realistically, if a guy were going to work out and get his arms jacked up like that, he probably wouldn't have beer gut like that.

Aside from that, it's a cool interpretation of a old favorite. It renders nice in the Unreal Editor.
    When you start to think of what everything around you would look like in wireframe, does that mean you have problems?
    120GB Corsair Force GT Series SSD - 2x Western Digital Caviar Blue 500 GB SATA III HD -
    Thermaltake TP-1000M PSU
    Pioneer BD-RW - Samsung LightScribe DVD-RW - Windows 7 Professional x64

Hi again!!

First, thank you guys for the tips! I was going to do the mesh cleanup in the end, but doing it now really helped to see thing more clearly...

So, here is another update. This time with some more tools, some tatoos (just tests for now) and the mushroom. I cleaned up the mesh and reworked the edge loops a little. There are 12017 tris so far...

preview.jpg WIP_24-04-11.jpg

Now, as I'm running out of tris, I'll work on the details on the clothes and skin, something to make it look more like a dirty plumper...

My blog
    My YouTube Channel

Its looking better but the arms still need a lot of work, there are a lot of un needed tris there. also the arm pit has far too many tris,

have you deleted the faces that are behind the clothing where the belly is, if not delete them then,

You would save loads of tris by putting triangles in there.

The tattoo on the back is not working very well, i would drop that.

His hat needs more creases sculpted in.
    Portfolio

Current Showreel

Hello again!

Here is another update. I've painted on some dirt and this time I made a test pose. There's still a lot of things to fix, but I was tired of the "T" pose....

preview.jpg WIP_25-04-11.jpg

Now, let's get back to work!!!

My blog
    My YouTube Channel

New Member Follow User Gallery

Wow! That one's looking damn fine!

That's how Mario will look on Nintendo's next machine^^

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast