Senior Member Follow User Gallery

Thanks guys, and thank you Magdalena.

x-titan, I re-upped the tutorial to gumroad, its free. https://gumroad.com/ysalex

Member Follow User Gallery

wow stunning work do you use fibermesh for the hair? it look really clean

Thanks man, yeah its fibermesh.

Wow..so graceful. Would you mind sharing the process for hair creation?

New Member Follow User Gallery

Default Nice work!

Yes, I would also love to know what technique you used for the hair.

Thanks guys.

For the hair, I used fibermesh. I kept the hair organized by polygroups, and used fewer strands. Then when they were in a rough position, I converted them to normal polygons/ztool. After that it was just using the move tool with mask by polygroup, and eventually moving single strands with mask topological.

New Member Follow User Gallery

Sounds like a good process. Could you share your fibermesh settings for the larger strands.

Thanks!

The settings were pretty simple. Turned off twist, cranked up the segments and number of sides. Didn't use thickness initially. The thickness part is done after converting the fibermesh to normal polygons, after its been initially styled.

Fibermesh is a little messy, so after converting to polygons you can super smooth out all the hairs in the group. This reduces the thickness of the strand to nothing, basically. That way when you do deformation-->inflate, the hair inflates to a standard thickness with no lumpiness. I used a standard inflate of like 2 or something, so that when I repeated this with each set of polygroups I would get a standardized thickness.

There is no real trick to it, its genuinely not that hard you just have to be sort of patient when you initially style it.

Another method is to do the initial styling in zbrush with fibermesh, export the fibermesh as curves, import to maya and setup a hair system with nHair. Then when you're done, convert the nhair to polygons, export, and bring it back into maya.

You get a little extra control this way, and its non-destructive if you want to change your result you just go into maya to change the nHair system. It takes a couple of extra steps and I didnt do it here because I didnt feel like package hopping. This is how I did the hair for the ghost in the shell figure a couple pages back.

Default Thanks! <3

Thanks for the link to the tutorial I did some work with MD a few months back and everything made sense at the time, but if I had to go back and use it again, I'd need some time to get used to it. Your tutorial saves me quite a bit of time Thanks again and keep up the great work!!!
    When you know what to do, you do what you know

Member Follow User Gallery

One of the most beautiful works I've seen lately, Congratulations...

This was a sculpt/study of my favorite musician, P.O.S (stefon Alexander), from the rap collective Doomtree.

Always liked this shot of him. Tried to keep it loose and fun and capture the smile/expression instead of focusing on every pore and wrinkle.

Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 21723242526