Member Follow User Gallery

Default Kerem Sketchbook - I really don't know anything about this...

creaturepractice.jpg

Hello friends,

I usually come up stuff like this one but don't know where to go from there. What should I do more? And I'm already on subdiv level 8, obviously I'm not an efficient sculptor at all.

Any suggestions and critiques are welcome...

Thanks in advance

p.s. By the way Zbrush 4 is amazing. On my old Athlon 64 4400 with 4 gigs of ram it is working VERY smooth at subdiv level 8!!! Great job Pixoguys.
    Last edited by Kerem; 03-30-11 at 05:22 AM. Reason: changing the title
    I like SzeBrush...
    Kerem Sketchbook | Web Site

Default re

some quick feedback.

first thing i'll say is you should go way back to sub div 2 or 3 and really nail your base forms, it's kind of all over the map. GLHF
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	w copy.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	333.2 KB 
ID:	246017  

think the forum nuked my first post... anyway...

he's some quick feedback. i think you should go back to sub d lvl 2,3,4 and really nail your forms, right now it's all over the map. GLHF
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	w copy.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	333.2 KB 
ID:	246018  

Senior Member Follow User Gallery

hey man, I think the most obvious thing to say is that you should try and learn a bit more anatomy. It's always good to do these kinds of sculpts(in terms of finding out what the brushes do), but you will become more proficient at thinking up new designs when you have a bit more knowledge of anatomy. I know what you mean when you say "I don't know what to do anymore" and for me that was because of a lack of knowledge of anatomy.

It might be "boring" to do human faces, but once you understand the whole bonestructure and how the muscles/fat and skin interact with that you can start to change things into aliens that will then automaticly look realistic.

hope this helps, just keep at it and you'll progress
    Last edited by TheGreenMachine; 03-29-11 at 03:27 PM.
    Luke Groen

reboot!

Guys! Thank you for taking time to comment

@Gate Crasher: Useful tips, I really do appreciate!

@TheGreenMachine: You are right about anatomy. I never ever trained on traditional sculpting or never get anatomy lessons. It's discouraging to use Zbrush without having proper education. I have some training DVDs but it's not like educating about trad. sculpting in an art school I think.

Here some other stuff I did, can't remember that I posted to somewhere or not. Looks ridiculous compared to the artwork and image quality of this forum My Hellboy probably the worst one out there

Critiques highly appreciated, which I need a lot

exaggarated_face_sculpt.jpg

firstcreature1.jpg

hellboy1.jpg
    I like SzeBrush...

Now these are much much better, the hellboy is not that bad dude. Much more defenition in terms of anatomy, well done That one shows that you do see the shapes, you just need to hone your skills interpreting them.

Try to refrain from doing these strange alien thingies for a while, even though they are tempting because you often feel more freedom, but they mis their point because it is unclear what is what and it doesn't seem based on something.

You do show potential, just keep at it, do some more faces or even small parts of faces, focus on the eyes seperately or the mouth seperately. This often helps because you don't have to see the whole object progress, you can just focus on a small part and make that the best you can.

oh and, don't speed up the division, spend most of your time on the first 2-3 subdivision, if you get those done better, you will notice that things will turn out less blobby and messy. I spend about 75% of my time on those subdivision
    Luke Groen

reboot!

@TheGreenMachine: Thanks mate! You are very right about alien things, giving kind of freedom to not to follow any rule. Which is not good way to learn proper sculpting I guess.

You think it's enough to practice anatomy in Zbrush is just fine or should I try other mediums also? I usually draw female figures to understand the muscle flow (I love female muscle structure). And maybe also I should try to model figures in a 3d software first (Maya or Modo in this case)...
    I like SzeBrush...

It doesn't really matter which medium you use, I learnt anatomy through school by doing a anatomical model in maya, first the skeleton, than the individual muscles and finally the skin. However, even though this was a great base, I REALLY taught myself anatomy by life-drawing classes and just making A LOT of faces and torsos, bodyparts etc in Zbrush. You learn by doing and most importantly learn by re-doing. I saw you checked my sketchbook and I'm sure you noticed that when you see the first page and the last (and I haven't updated in like ages) you keep seeing the same kind of thing, but each time it either took me littler time to get the same result or I take the same time and the result is much better. A good technique is to give yourself an hour for a face for instance, force yourself to stop after that hour and just start over and do another one for an hour, each time you know better what to do I can talk about this stuff for ages so I'll stop :P
    Luke Groen

reboot!