ZBrushCentral

"Eye Texture" Tutorial . . .

‘Afternoon all . . . :slight_smile:

OK, first open Zbrush - choose “Tool / Sphere3D” - go to “Tool / Modifiers / Initialize” & slide Hdivide & Vdivide to the Maximum / then go to “Tool / Modifiers / Deformation / Rotate” & rotate 90 on the “X” axis / now draw the object on the canvas.

Set the “Draw / DrawSize” to 5, & turn “RGB” on / turn off “ZADD, ZSUB & ZCUT”.

Go to “Tools / Modifiers / Symmetry” & select “Z - M - R” set the “RadialCount / 35”.

Now draw a large circle on the sphere to represent the outline of the iris & a small circle to represent the pupil.

Go to “Tool / Modifiers / Texture” and select “TXR>COL” to make a texture of the circles you drew on the sphere.

Go to “Textures / Inventory” & select “Export”, save the texture as “Eye Outline”. Close Zbrush.

PhotoShop Portion Of Tut:

Open PhotoShop & load the image “Eye Outline” & zoom-in on the image so the large circle fills the work area.

Select the “Elliptical Marquee” tool / draw a selection while holding down the shift key to match the size of the large circle, move it around to place it on center of the large circle.

Create a new layer above the image.

Select the “Radial Gradient” Tool / Select “Window” pull down menu & select “Show Options”, that will open the options for the Radiant Gradient Tool.

Click the “Edit” button & the “Gradient Editor” will open / select any of the “3 color combination” choices in the window / as you do you will notice that the color bars at the bottom will change, that’s where you edit the colors & percentage of gradient coverage.

Now, select the little box underneath the top colored bar & you’ll see that color appears in the box below / left click on that box & the color palette will open / choose a color that you want the outer area of the iris to be & click OK / you’ll notice that the chosen color now appears in the first area of the blend / do the same thing for the 2nd middle iris color & 3rd inside iris color. Also make sure that the 1st box is far left, 2nd box is in the middle, 3rd box is far right. When finished click OK & you should see your Gradient choice & colors in the color bar at the right.

Click “New Layer” in the Layers Palette & make sure that layer is selected or active / with your “Radial Gradient” Tool still selected, start from the left edge of the selection & draw a line to the very center of the circle selection you created / you should now see the gradient color blend going from the center to the outside edge of the circle.

Now choose “Filter pull down menu & select Add Noise” / set Noise=50 / Gaussian / Monochromatic / you should now see a lot of noise in your colored area.

Choose "Filter pull down menu & select Blur / Radial Blur / set Amount=35 / Blur Method=Zoom / Quality=Best, you should now see the actual pattern & blend of the iris.

Click the little Eye next to the top layer to make it invisible & remove any selections / now make a selection around the small circle for the pupil / click the little Eye again to make the top layer visible again & select the top layer & click New Layer, now you should have a new empty layer on top of the stack.

Make sure the Foreground color is black & choose the “Paint Bucket” Tool / click anywhere in the small circle selection you created, you should now have a solid black filled circle in the center & on top of the gradient color circle, remove the selection.

Go to “Filter pull down menu / Blur / Gaussian Blur” / set Radius=1.5 Pixels & click OK.

Select bottom layer & select “New Layer”, reselect the bottom layer, the original layer you first started with & delete it.

Make sure Foreground color is white & choose the “Paint Bucket” Tool / click anywhere on the canvas to fill it with white, making sure that the bottom layer is active or selected.

Now select “Layer pull down / Flatten Image” & you should have your “Eye Texture” created / Save your image as “Blue Eye Texture” or what ever color you choose, & close PhotoShop.

Reopen Zbrush / choose “Tool / Sphere3D” - go to “Tool / Modifiers / Initialize” & slide Hdivide & Vdivide to the Maximum / then go to “Tool / Modifiers / Deformation / Rotate” & rotate 90 on the “X” axis / & draw the object on the canvas, & enter “Edit Mode” or press the “T” key.

Select “Material / ToyPlastic” / open “Texture / Inventory / Import” & select the saved “Eye Texture” you saved from PhotoShop / you should now see an Eye Ball, with your “Eye Texture” on it staring right at you.

Go to “Tool / Modifiers / Texture” & select “TXR>COL” to color the polys with the colors from the texture / you can now remove the texture you loaded.

If you have followed everything as you should, you will now have a “Textured Eye” on your screen??? This object when saved will keep all the colors & Materials you assigned to it, for use in another project. You can also use the “GelShaderA” Material to paint on the iris area only to get a glassy or cornea look to it, by selecting “Draw / M” & turning off “ZADD - ZSUB - ZCUT” / select “ToyPlastic” & click “FillObject” / Then select the “GelShaderA” Material & paint on the cornea area, you might want to place a mask on the outside of the iris to get a neater Material boundary.

I hope this has covered everything needed in creating an “Eye Texture”, I don’t think I forgot anything??? If you have any problems or questions, please let me know, I’ll be glad to offer any help that I can. You can always choose to create different shapes & sizes for the iris & pupil in PhotoShop, but the procedures will still be pretty much be the same.

Have a good one & I hope some of you get some enjoyment out of this . . . :cool: Mark.

Thanks, man!
I don’t even have Photoshop, but I enjoyed seeing the TUT, and I think even though I enjoy doing eyes with my tablet, directly in ZBrush, I might use these techniques in Deep Paint 3D to do some more unconventional eye maps. Nice tips!

i have to admet thoughs are some wicked eyes nice job

Hey Kruzr!
Is your name Henry Winkler? Cause you’re pretty cool!
You’rve solved my eyeball dilema I’ve been meaning to solve since day-one of using ZBrush and that was the different reflective state of the eyeballs Cornea. Of course it never dawned on me to paint a different material on it! Duh! (slap-head!). It’s always been in my mind to create the eye-parts as seperate objects and join them by the new Multimarkers. Check out this Studio Max tutorial about eyeballs… It’s All In The Eyes by Adam Baroody. It shows the depth you can get in the eyeballs. Check out the cool fellow at the bottom of the page! It shows how important good eyeballs make as a first impression to a picture.

Good stuff Kruzr. I’ll be putting this tut to good use! Appreciate the time your’ve put into it!
Upham :slight_smile:

Fantastic!

Thanks for the great trick. :+1: :smiley:

Upham, that is a nice explanation of the eye situation, and definitely worth a look. I’m learning all kinds of quaint eye things today…nice start to the week, and thanks guys! :+1: :+1: :+1:

Thanks for all of your positive comments. :slight_smile:

Hey Upham . . . I’ve been to that site before, when I was trying to create an eyeball in TrueSpace 5. I must say though, I could never get a realistic eyeball in TrueSpace, to look as good as in ZBrush. If you play around with the Modifiers / SpecularCurve & DiffuseCurve for the GelShaderA Material, after painting the cornea with it, you can get some really interesting effects. It gives the cornea a transparent & 3D effect, especially when you move the eyeball around. :wink:

Thanks again & have a good one . . . :cool: Mark.

here’s another eye ball tutorial for a texture map done in photoshop.

I thought it would round off this thread nicely.
http://www.kandsdesign.com/kim/eyemap-tut.html

thelonious

Man, talk about going about it the long way! I got up to page-ten and couldn’t be bothered reading anymore!
I like Kruzrs method better!

Kruzr…

You ARE the EYEBALL king! :slight_smile:

Really thanks for the great tutorial. I have photoshop but I’m going to see if I can work it out in PSP. Seems there is as you say just the one step with the radial blur…but I’ll find something in PSP that will make it work. :slight_smile:

Thanks again for an in-depth and terrific tutorial!

Awesome Kruzr!! Thank you!

Just a second thought, for those without a radial blur…

Kruzr’s tutorial instructs to rotate the sphere 90 on the x axis before drawing the tool. This allows the mapping of the texture to be round when exported.

If you keep the sphere in its default orientation (Don’t rotate it). then an eye map might look something like this:

The black on top represents the pupil, the green the iris, etc…

So, the tutorial is the same, without the rotation. Bring the exported image in your image editor, select the iris area, gradient, noise…, and then add a motion blur.

Similar effect, not quite as good as kruzr’s, but play around with different filters. In the example above, I used a craquelure filter then the motion blur. Final result:

Thanks for all these GREAT tutorials, Guys! There is now NO EXCUSE for bad looking eyes!

Awesome tuts!

Thanks,

WOW!!! What a great day! :smiley:

Thanks for the turorial Kruzr! :slight_smile:
Very well done. :+1: I don’t have Photoshop but I was able to get similar results in Corel Photo-Paint. :slight_smile:

Thanks! :slight_smile:

Awesome tutorial Kruzr :+1:
Thanks

I think we need another tutorial on how Stacey made that cool new smiley :cool:

Ok, so here’s my first attempt with PSP to convert this tutorial to work with it.

These are very rough and it’s going to take some playing around with the settings. In PSP7 you can use the “Fur” effect to get somewhere in the universe of what was done with Photoshop. I’ll never get them as perfection as your originals but I can get them to where they will be acceptable to me with PSP7. It’ll just take some playing. Finding the filter to use was the hard part. :wink:

I also notice that the texture from PSP7 mangled my outer circle a bit and I think that happened when applying the “fur” filter. The first eyeball above I tried to turn it down to get rid of that morphing but I guess I didn’t turn down the blur enough because that eyeball is hideous.

And you don’t have to add the noise when you use fur as it ignores/erases it anyway. So now that I’ve left a clue…I’ll go back and keep playing with it and see if I can get it at least close to the perfect eyes from the tutorial!

Thanks again!

Hey Kaz . . . :slight_smile:

Thanks lots for the addition to my tutorial. I haven’t tried any different procedures for my tut in a program without the “Radial Blur”, but after reading your post I went into “PaintShopPro 7” & used your modifications to the tutorial, it worked great! :smiley: :wink: :smiley:

I think it looks just as good as using the “Radial Blur” method. Have a good one . . . :cool: Mark.

Hey Kruzr - this is a great tutorial you’ve written and you’ve started a great thread. The next eyes I use will be created via your method :smiley: :smiley:

To add to this topic: After the eyes are brought into ZBrush they need a final touch which may be accomplished in ZBrush, Photoshop or PSP - they need to be shaded/shadowed. The initial render may place a shadow on the eye (which is critical) but it would be best to enhance it. This applies to any 3D app :wink: As Adman notes - the eye is not a simple sphere - there will be shadowing and highlights under the cornea. The important point is you must first light your scene before you’ll know where to put these shadows/highlights.

I previously posted the following but perhaps it belongs in this thread :slight_smile:

I create new eyes for each image and process them according to the lighting etc in each image. Although I’ve created eyes within ZBrush that I like - I often begin with an eye texture created in Darktree then heavily modified in Photoshop. Following is the creation progression for the mother’s eye:

The left eye below is the texture straight out of (although manipulated within) Darktree. The right eye is the result of editing within Photoshop.

The left eye below is the rendered eye straight out of ZBrush with no shadows or highlights. The right eye is the result of editing within Photoshop.

After doing the initial render in ZBrush I paint the eyeball with 100% flat white - render again and use this as a layer mask in Photoshop. Using the Photoshop paint brush set at approximately 25% black – I add shading around the eye including the shadow and adjust the tones under the cornea.

Even subtle eye shading may have a dramatic effect :+1:

jd