New Member Follow User Gallery

Default second life sculpty

I'm trying to convert and obj file to a sculpy uv map for second life someone told me I could do it with wings but I would need an obj plugin but I can't find it could someone point me in the right direction or if there is an easier way thanks

Senior Member Follow User Gallery

Sculptris while it is the best sculpting program I have ever seen is most likely NOT what you are after for making sculpties (sculpted prims) in SL...
    There are a couple of reasons for this, but the first one is simple:
    Too many polygons.

A sculptie is exactly 32x32 which boils down to 1024 polygons, that cannot have more and cannot have less.

Sculptris has a default sphere containing 2048 polygons and while that is reduceable Im not sure you would get what you are after.

Sculptris will export a .OBJ file readable by Wings 3D but you will need to either in sculptris or Wings reduce the number of polygons accordingly or most likely just use wings to make the object from scratch....

The best thing that I know of for making sculpties is Blender and some add on scripts, I would look for the Blender groups in SL for help as I cant find the scripts I used to use and the ones I have found are not working at the moment.

Im sorry if this is less than helpful but I stopped using SL in favor of Opensim a long time ago.

Cheers,
    And Good Luck
    Mealea

it would be nice if Pixologic kept the Sculptis project up to date or kept the project active, as it seems they just bought out a competitor they were afraid of, look next for them to try and buy out 3D-Coat, Sculptris could use a "quadrangulate mesh"(similar algorithms have been around for over 5 years), and "reduce mesh" add-on/exporters to give the program much more functionality, as it is it doesn't look like they to interested in keeping the program up to date.

I honestly done have a clue what they are doing, but I would like to see Sculptris progress...

Sculptris is the best thing I have seen in many many many years and it caused me to go an buy Zbrush....

I use Zbrush to add detail to Sculptris models.... sometimes....

As for the exporting of stuff I think .OBJ works rather well but as something for making sculpties for Opensim or SL Sculptris makes objects that are more detailed than either can use hence I recommended Blender... I have tried Wings 3D and cant make heads or tails of it, as near as I can tell Wings is a whole different concept in 3D software...

All sculpties are is a sort of halfass way of making organic shapes in Opensim and SL, both are now introducing mesh models at the expense of a very large user base. It takes a very serious videocard to work with those worlds as it is, now they have crushed even good ones with a hideous viewer that supports mesh, which by the way is not .OBJ its Colada what ever that is....

Cats Eye, I will have a look around and see if I can find anything for you as information is sketchy about this stuff.... basically SL "content creators" are a greedy lot and don't want competition
    So...
    Gimmy a bit and I will see what I can turn up ok?

Cheers,
    Mealea

ok....
    this is some stuff that should help:

Wings 3d:
    http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Scul..._with_Wings_3D
    http://pkpounceworks.com/2010/08/01/...-plugin-files/

Blender:
    http://www.masterprim.com/

And stuff in general:
    http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Scul...ent-made_Tools

Bare in mind that SL site is usually wildly out of date, filled with false information and otherwise unreliable sometimes, however most of this stuff seems ok to some extent.

more soon if I see anything

Cheers!