Might start this guy back up...I've learned a ton going through batman, especially in the rigging, organizing and posing department. SO we'll see what happens

A new project I started to get better at mechanical modeling in zbrush... I was loving the suit designs in Tom Cruise's new movie Edge of Tomorrow and I was able to find lots of good ref, so I'm trying my hand at making it or something similar in ZBrush

Member Follow User Gallery

I don't know the movie, but I think your hard surface stuff is coming along nicely. One thing to keep in mind is don't abandon sculpting while doing hard surface stuff. On my first mechanical stuff I did a lot of "poly modeling", like moving edges, verts, extruding, polish etc. it can look too sharp. I had to learn the hard way that sculpting can be faster, better looking and give really unique results. I still struggle with it.

Anyhow, great job!

Thanks for the comment! I have come to realize that I can't do everything with the clip curve and booleans either, still have to sculpt But it's amazing how fast you can model hard surfaces in zbrush now, though I do sometimes go back to Max cuz I'm just faster at some things there. Hoping to have an update in the near future, have been working a lot on different areas like straps and pads, so that might help break up the sharp look a bit. I also made myself a picatinny rail brush to speed up things. Insert Mesh Brushes are so amazing!

I split the model out to different assets and have been working on them seperately...here's the latest on the arm and sort of an overall view of the suit itself.
    I haven't done much on the clothes, just gave it some very rough folds to get a sense of clothes...

An updated arm, I think it's pretty much done. When I attach it to the rest of the body I"ll have to modify the shoulder joint area a bit. I noticed in the trailer that it seems they digitally removed the pistons in the arm. When you look at photography of the suits they are present...so I might end up removing mine, but I think it looks better with there so we'll see.

Default Nice!

Hey, that's coming along nice, Japetus!

Senior Member Follow User Gallery

nice & clean meshes.very cool.

Big update! I've pretty much finished the arm, just some straps that i'll be adding at a later date after i worked on the cloth. Also have done a lot of work on the leg and the chest piece...I'll be retopologizing the body of the chest piece since after all my slicing and dicing left me with a lot of nasty geo, but I'm not too worried...it's coming along and it's only been a month! Comments and crits welcome...

Been working on wearing down my suit...I think it's turning out pretty well so far...

Senior Member Follow User Gallery

very nicely done and good designed.

Question...anyone know how to remove images in your thread? I want to clean this thing up a bit...

I moved back to my Creech model for the day and tried to figure out zbrush multi-pass rendering. I feel like this guy is done for now. His pose might have been a bit more fearsome, but I'm waist deep in other zbrush stuff now and want to get him on my site.

Big update for the Edge of Tomorrow suit since the movie is coming out (or already out in some areas). Have found more photos of the suit online so I have been improving various areas. I think most of the major parts are done, but the polycount on this is a beast and I'm building in seperate ztools.
    Will be a challenge getting it all into one file! 64bit zbrush would do well at this I think...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	creecher_comp01_lower.jpg 
Views:	391 
Size:	474.2 KB 
ID:	412096   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	arm6.jpg 
Views:	444 
Size:	307.6 KB 
ID:	412097   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	arm7.jpg 
Views:	434 
Size:	305.8 KB 
ID:	412098   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	backpack2.jpg 
Views:	1089 
Size:	297.5 KB 
ID:	412099   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	leg2.jpg 
Views:	540 
Size:	327.5 KB 
ID:	412100  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	torso1.jpg 
Views:	768 
Size:	384.9 KB 
ID:	412101  

Saw the movie and liked it a lot...since then I've been updating the armor and things a lot...

Oh yeah, that's great work! Fantastic modelling skills. I'm gonna be keeping an eye on this thread.
    Especially as you mentioned the amount of sub tools you are using. I'm particularly interested in how you are going to pose this guy, if at all.
    My current model is pretty heavy with a lot of sub tools and i'm adding more daily. Im beginning to dread having to pose him as I've not done it before.
    Any breakdowns of how you will go about it will be massively appreciated.

Thanks Zeclipse! Yeah this is turning out surprisingly well and I've learned so much in zbrush! For now I'll be keeping him in this pose, it's slightly better than a T-pose, at least he's "neutral". Basically I'm building 'chunks' like the arm, helmet, guns in different files and then putting them all together in the master file you see here.
    When I feel like the modeleling is done, I go back and optimize the meshes best I can using zremesher and Project All. Then I do a Merge Visible and load that ztool into my project. I'm trying to keep each chuck of meshes to something resonable, like under 7 million so it doesn't bog down too much.
    I also found out about Dynamic Solo mode so when you move the model around it hides everything else, very handy for large files! I think I'm around 40 subtools in my main project file, but that will probably be a lot less in the final since I'm still working on the clothes and straps and hoses. If I wasn't polypainting I could get away with a lot less geometry probably, and if I ever export this to something like 3ds Max I'll have to go through and unwrap and dynmesh, ugh!
    For now this method is working quite well...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast