Senior Member User Gallery

Mathematical proportion to produce pleasing line....... forgetting the book burners for evermore.

Here is a model, profile view, I tried for the visually yum, it is not the perfect profile, but it I feel has pleasing form and line. So I checked it aginst the ratio 1:1.618. It comes close to those proportions.... so in mathematical terms I have created a near perfect shape that works for all it contains.

The orange square is from nose tip to the beginning of the ear. The blue is the height fom bottom of chin to the bottom of the eye (this can be made into a triangle)The blue square has been rotated 90 degrees the rmainder of the yellow square on the left is approx .6 of the blue square.

I picked this profile at random, and did not alter the model in any way. The principle seems to work.

Every thing is food for thought, this post is intended to convey another way of looking at form....it could be it might help some people in their modelling and art understanding. Me I wouldn't just dismiss it outright. Greater minds than mine have worked towards this solution. Right or wrong the idea persists in many avenues.

EDIT:

So I had a quick look at the proportions of this cartoony frontal.....

The proportions on the left one needed altering to suit the ratio. I choose only the distance from chin to bottom of eye, and applied a rough 1.618 height above that to the top of the hair fringe. Now the head seems to have a more refined look and not as dumpy as the one on the left....It seems to my eye added a little sophistication to the righthand model....Mind you I still do not like the look of the model, but I may play further.

I read the other posts with interest and understand that many people don't want to feel constrained by mathematics. Personally, I think the info. you've dug up is very useful to me. I've made some pretty crappy heads and haven't yet got the chops to do up a good one. But guidelines like the ones you posted are extremely useful if the intention is to do models that are realistic.

I mean, I've already had a number of people comment on my models telling me I need to work on proper proportions and suggesting a detailed study of facial anatomy. So I for one go for the kind of data like this.

~zero

trying to reply once more...hope it makes it....

ED....great thread....

i think while learning art symmetry is a necessity however in art as in life and life in mho is what makes art...its the story i want to know about......i think i would be more inclined to feel and want to know more about the face on the left of Ed's last post than I would of the more perfect face on the right......right or wrong...it's human nature to question the oddities than it is the beauty.

I can't remember the last time someone asked my goddess friend about her or her life....but I can't pass too many people without them asking about the scar on my face.

In art we strive for perfection but does perfection = symmetry.....depends on what the artist i suppose is going for....but I'd take a lack of symmetry and a boat load of character over symmetry anyday and I think anyone that can capture character has achieved the ultimate in perfection in art.

but that is my ho in this darkening library from hell with some angry/pimply teen glaring at me hoping I leave ten minutes ago.

Keep up the great work and discussions guys....I wish I could visit more often!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12