ZBrushCentral

Comic Book Character Sculpts

Here are some images of some work I’ve done recently.

I grew up a huge comic book fan and love every second I get to spend working on these characters.

All characters and images copyright their respective owners and used by permission…

The first is a Batman themed series I am doing for DC Direct. It’s called Gotham City Stories and it features different sculpts of Batman, the Joker, and Catwoman so far.

Next is some Marvel stuff I’ve done for Randy Bowen…

The Pyro Mini Bust is new but I’ve posted Mephisto before…just re-posting because he’s only just hit the comic shop shelves

Here is a piece I did for Electric Tiki, slated to do more for them soon. Not comic book related but rather a 'toon inspired take on a classic character. This piece was done from concept art provided by Electric Tiki’s owner, Tracy Lee.

Thanks for looking.

these are really nice it must be great to do this kind of work. How long do you have to do each sculpt.
I love the Joker sculpt great work

You have a great style. You really captured the feel of the comics. Your Mephisto looks so much like in the comics, that it looks as if it was scuplted by the big man himself, John Buscema.
I am a huge John Buscema fan. In fact, I took one of his old drawings and colored it several months back. Hopefully, it will inspire you to do more.
(If this image is too much, let me know, and I’ll remove it. Heck, I’ll probably get a call from Mickey Mouse himself to remove it. Ha.)

These are great shots Joe!
Wow this will be a great thread, great shots of these! They are all fantastic but I gotta say the Joker’s flamboyant gesture is so cool, and his face. Love the mix of the hard surface and organic. When you have one or the other things can be cool, but both together and art piece really explodes.
:smiley:

man how i dream about having a job like yours.
i love the batman, hes not over done and seems human enough, almost a little DKR which is nice.
whohoo love the herbie too!

Freakin’ Awesome! So clean and you nailed all the poses. I look forward to seeing more of your works.

How much of the Herbie was done in ZB? and since people always ask me any chance we can see some WIPs?

Very nice works…
i love the joker and herbie…

thanks, malc…the length of the sculpt depends on the complexity and client satisfaction…

The joker was the first time I really felt myself pushing pixels and vertices around with the absolute freedom and control I have with clay…plus I stared Brian Bolland joker drawings until they were burned into my retinas…thanks, Brandon!!!

Webhead…That Mephisto was a total and deliberate homage to Big John.
I’ve got his Marvel Visionaries HC front and center on my shelf.
I even took the proportion scheme from his How to Draw Comics the Marvel Way to set him up before posing:D That image will be my new desktop…fantastic

thanks!
Posed herbie and put finishing touches on him in zb.

WOW! This is awesome work! Really enjoyed looking all of them over.

Top row! Top row

I love that zbrush has even taken over real sculpture;) I bet those guys never imagined that all those years ago

Amazing work, as a Buscema fan myself I got to say you nailed the look of Mephisto, no small achievement.

oh cool!

Nice sculpts. liked very much :slight_smile:

So amazing Joe! Fantastic stuff! Congrats. :smiley:

r

Real nice stuff you’ve got going here, exellent craftsmanship.

Lot’s of NICE work! :+1:

Wow really awesome models dude!! Really like the details!:+1:

fantastic work. Very well done! :+1:

hey joseph!

awesome work. really love the sense of motion the dc series got. especially the joker.
would it by any chance be possible to see how these are constructed? like see the different subtools and maybe how they intersect?..

anyway. thanks so much for sharing. great stuff.

-r