Senior Member Follow User Gallery

How? I want to learn how not to know what I'm doing
    markkens

@Jovomo:
    Thanks!
    That's not a bad idea, I just gotta make a handle

@Markkens:
    How did I make these? Or how do you stop doing what you are doing?
    Either way I want to see what you are doing.

That first one was simple, the second one less so.

First off, this does not involve Panel Loops, but it could and you could do some very cool stuff with them, I prefer to do it the long way as it gives me insane amounts of precision.
    Second you need a basic understanding of PolyGroups, how to hide and show them and how to use the selection tools to make them.
    If you dont know this stuff, by the time you are done with this you will, neat huh?
    Note- DynaMesh makes what i call "superfluous nipples" in your mesh and these will make ugly hell out of stuff, so while you are making this look all over your mesh as you go and watch for messed up little puckers, they are not fixable and will piss you off.
    I render in KeyShot, you can render these in anything that will recognise ZBrush PolyGroups or materials, but the polyGroups are the important part in my opinion.

EDIT:
    I forgot something important!
    If you use ZRemesher instead of DynaMesh it could very well come out better, make sure you have Keep Groups turned on and watch out for stray PolyGroups, figure out which of the main PolyGroups they ought to belong to and then use the PolyGroup palette to re-attach them where they belong by hiding the ones you dont want and then using Group Visible.
    Using ZRemesh is far better in many cases than DynaMesh, but might take more dicking around.

To make the first one:
    1. Make a Dynamesh sphere (or anything you like, but maybe start with a sphere).
    2. Hold down Control, Shift and Click and Drag from the Canvas onto your sphere to hide part of it.
    3. Hold down Control and Shift and Drag outside of it to invert what's hidden.
    4. In the Geometry Pallet under Modify Topology hit Delete Hidden and then hit Close Holes.
    5. Turn on PolyFrame (Shift F)so you can see polygons and PolyGroups, turn this on and off for the rest of the process to make sure things are going smoothly.
    6. Re-Dynamesh.
    7. Use Relax and Polish by Features in the Deformation Pallet to smooth out the new PolyGroups.
    8. In the Deformation Pallet use something like Twist (play around, use Twist and Taper maybe, but dont go too extreme or things will get screwy).
    9. After doing that go back into the Geometry Pallet and under Edge Loops hit the Group Loops button, this gives nice workable edges to each PolyGroup.
    10. Shift Click on one of the large sections and use Inflate in the Deformation pallet, OR, depending on what you want to do, use Edge Loop (under Edge loop) in the Geometry Pallet with a Displacement setting to make nice square polygons.
    11. Do the same to the other large section. Experiment, these are the primary shapes you are working on.
    12. Do Polish By Features again (Deformation pallet), try it with the circle thingy on and off, it makes a big difference.

Next you need to assign materials, If you have mesh that's as dense as mine you will likely see ZBrush hit a memory hole the size of your computer. This can get VERY UGLY.

To assign materials to PolyGroups:
    1. Control Shift Click on a PolyGroup.
    2. At the top set M to On (in the group of buttons MRGB, RGB and M) M is Material.
    3. Select a material from the Material Palette.
    4. In the Color Menu (up on top of the ZBrush Window) hit the Fill Object Button.
    5. Control Shift Click on the Canvas to unhide the rest of the object.
    6. Control Shift Click on the other large PolyGroup.
    7. Select another material.
    8. Again, in the Color Menu hit the Fill Object Button.
    9. Control Shift Click on the Canvas to unhide the rest of the object, again.
    10. Change your material again to whatever you like, and I suggest something that contrasts with the other two. This time you dont need to fill it, its just the default for what ever is left, though you can select those and fill them if you like (I do).

From here its a matter of how you want to render this thing you have made....
    And that's sort of up to you.
    But, if you have KeyShot and want to know how I did that part let me know.

Also I didn't include instructions for the second object because it is a combination of the process above and a neat use of GroupLoops that is covered to death in this thread.
    If you want that process as well, and dont want to dig in this thread (its less than small), you will have to wait for me to dig for you, and I am exceedingly lazy all of a sudden!
    Im kidding, just let me know, I can describe the second one as well...

I started making these in 2010, but never pushed them all that far because ZBrush rendering wasn't doing it for me, but now with KeyShot things are a little diferent.
    The other thing is you can use things like this as booleans on other objects, like you could use one of these to erode a cube and maybe get some interesting results.
    Last edited by MealeaYing; 06-18-17 at 06:50 AM. Reason: The hell of it, and I forgot stuff.
    nope...
    I don't know what I'm doing but I'm doing it anyway.

Mealea,

Lazy is good. I've started looking through your thread, and I see what you mean by "covered to death" on some of the techniques.
    I'm honored to receive such a long reply from you.

Be well and happy,
    markkens

Default Minimalist Cube

@Markkens:

Im actually not that lazy, I need to update the stuff in those anyway. Pixologic has moved stuff around over the last several versions and some of that's out of date and cant be edited.

Speaking of lazy, I have been studying minimalist (meaning I read something about it on the internet) and it inspired me to make this.

A minimalist cube:

nope...

New Member Follow User Gallery

quote: Last stuff from 4R7

WOW, what a beautiful object and presentation! I'm new to ZBrush and would like to know as well
    what procedure is involved to get those fine details.

Regards
    Stefan

Member Follow
    User Gallery

Arrow Zbrush 4r8 . . first impression

MealeaYing:
    Nice stuff!
    Your truly a zbrush PolyLoop Master!

Got my update of zbrush 4r8 yesterday.
    Seems this version 4r8 is not using my windows 7 64 bit jump list ( right click zbrush 4r8 icon pinned to task bar for jump list )
    Light box persists in cluttering my zbrush 4r8 UI on starting zbrush (remember "," toggles Lightbox).

The new transform gizmo is interesting yet seems awkward compared to the familiar old transform resizable gizmo.
    Ah! found the button to revert to the old transform gizmo.

Zmodeler brush works as before, with the exception of crowding the work area with another viewport of dynamesh IMM?
    Found a button to inhibit it!

First impression is ZBrush 4r8 is a excellent application for hard surface modeling and sculpting intricate details.
    With the ability to create a custom user interface UI in zbrush
    And implementation of mouse scroll zoom in conjunction of middle mouse button use ( thanks Denvi's ..for the hard work)
    Zbrush then has a leaner personalized UI and smoother workflow with less clicks to get things done!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	zbrush-4r8-Lightbox-Toggle-launch-controlsB.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	17.7 KB 
ID:	555833   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	zbrush-4r8-Zmodeler-IMM-previewport-InhibitB.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	18.7 KB 
ID:	555834   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	zbrush-4r8-Transform-Gizmo-toggleB.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	18.4 KB 
ID:	555835  
    Last edited by cgmystic; 4 Weeks Ago at 09:51 AM. Reason: resized screen captures and corrected spellings

Do the best you can with the tools you have !

Member Follow
    User Gallery

Just what was needed Zbrush 4r8 P1 update.
    After installing this update windows 7 jumplist for Zbrush works!
    Zbrush 4r8 zmodeler brush doesn't have "hiding polygons"
    There is control + shift and click on polygroup to hide all other polygroups.
    Control + shift to click on empty canvas to invert visibility.
    The Lasso Toggle script by marcus_civis gives user option to hide polygon edgeloop by holding down control + shift and clicking a edgeloop edge.
    I can only guess Zbrush code gods are too busy for implimentation into the zmodeler brush UI

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lasso-Toggle-script-by-marcus_civis.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	54.1 KB 
ID:	557840  

@Futagoza:
    I am not blowing you off, Im making you a tutorial, my computers a bit damaged so its taking me a while...

@CgMystic:
    Its pretty amazing bunch of stuff huh? It took me awhile to get everything sorted, and working right.

Whats a jump list?
    nope...

New Member Follow User Gallery

Thanks a lot MealeaYing, i'm patient and i can wait.

Regards
    Stefan

Member Follow
    User Gallery

MealeaYing

Jump List's are shortcuts to files previously opened with applications.
    More specifically if you have Zbrush pinned to the windows task bar and you have jump list's enabled!
    Right clicking on the Zbrush icon will reveal a list of files opened with Zbrush.
    If you move the mouse curser over the list and click on a file name, Zbrush should startup and that file be loaded into Zbrush !
    To get a wider understanding I did a Google Search and found the following results .

https://www.google.ca/search?q=Whats...A4mSjwOunqeoDg