ZBrushCentral

Who Can it Be Now..? Challenge

Hi Everyone,

One of the true joys (and extraordinary creative aspects) of ZBrush is that it allows you, the artist to ‘see with the medium’… go spelunking around in your head and finding characters, creatures and gadgets you didn’t even know were there.

So that’s the simple challenge here: Starting with the mesh provided, see who emerges. Each of us will find a different someone.

I’ll seed a new challenge each week with a new mesh. Each one representing that weeks ‘theme’.

You are also free to use these meshes anywhere & anyway you please. I’d love to see what you do with them, and to hear any feedback. Please post your stuff on this thread, and/or anywhere else.

Zip file contains the ZTL (just the raw OBJ import), plus some special Texture PSDs (see images below, and my main thread for more on the ‘seam masking’ techniques). I’ve include a few tips for working with these GroBoto-Generated meshes below.

Best Wishes,
Darrel
My ZBrush Sketchbook ThreadKione 3D Jam 4
My CGSociety Folio
GroBoto v3 Beta Site

boolToon-Funnel-m.jpg

boolToon-4strip.jpg

Attachments

BootToon-SeamMask.jpg

Nice base sculpt. :+1:
Let me do some crits here.
You don’t need these spheres on eyes area. Eyelids could be useful though.
A more complicated solution on ears is needed. I have some ideas.
The nose. Nostrils?
I should post my solution probably. I’ll see about it.

Hi michalis,

Thanks.
Yes I’d love to see what you come up with…

…and thanks for reminding me of something I forgot to mention… those eyeballs are completely optional… not part of the head mesh. Just included them if anyone wanted to go with separated eyeballs.
Part of the fun here is that one can have as little or as much structure as desired in the GroBoto Model. In this case I really wanted to be minimalist – the simplest kind of 'toon, highly stylized and very little detail (for me - even when sculpting – I would keep it very simple).

I did a great deal of work over the last year or two based on more detailed GroBoto models. It was a lot of fun – although that was before we had subtractive trims or smoothing. I especially liked playing with the highly abstract ones. This is the other extreme (perhaps too much structure – but again, I did not have the tools I have now)

…so no meshes for these – just some old files to give an idea of the range of possibilities. No doubt, I build some new, richer, head constructs soon.

There are more from this older series in my CGS Folio (I was doing one every evening for a while)… and it all started about page 3-4 of my Sketch/WIP thread here on ZBC

Best Wishes,
Darrel
Kione 3D Jam 4
My CGSociety Folio
My ZBrush Sketchbook Thread

GroBoto v3 Beta Site

[attach=234085]groBoMen.jpg[/attach]

Attachments

groBoMen.jpg

OK I’m starting here. No retopology, just the groboto base mesh.
BPR two lights and the wonderful material of Julian_K.
gbh.jpg

Wonderful michalis… So far beyond the silly character of the mesh, yet retaining some of its spirit.
Very Boris Karloff.
…thanks for getting the ball rolling.

Best Wishes,
Darrel

I couldn’t resist and quickly sketch the image that came to my mind when I had a look at the groboto head ( thanks for posting the mesh).

the head is the groboto mesh and I just quickly added a zsphere body mesh.

it’s ‘somebody’ I truly disliked when I was a kid :wink:

groboto_kasper_T.jpg

Attachments

groboto_kasper.jpg

ha ha
I like this!
It proofs that topology is the base of sculpture though.
Our sculpts here have something common.
This is why I like groboto. Construct a different base topology and have a completely different character. :wink:

Hi Julian – love this. Thanks for taking a spin with the mesh. Great expression, clean sculpt.

I’ll be posting a new ‘BoolToon’ head tomorrow, Tuesday (and at least one a week)… hope you find some of them irresistible too.

BTW, this was my take… with my usual excuses of having no time & rusty ZSkills… but it’s too true at the moment with GroBoto devouring all of my energy & time.

Best Wishes,
Darrel

[attach=234649]funnelHero960.jpg[/attach]

Attachments

funnelHero960.jpg

Hi everyone,

Here’s a the new mesh/ZTL for this week. Experimenting with a bit more structure (ex. ears, nostrils).

Please see the first post in this thread for general info about the files.

You can download & play with the Download the ZTL, OBJ, and/or GroBoto files here. …some other recent free ZTLs are there too.

…Would love to see who/what appears if you give it a shot.

I took one quick swipe at the mesh – see below. It was actually an earlier version of the mesh (no teeth among other things).

[attach=234915]TrypHorn-Setup1.jpg[/attach]

[attach=234916]TrypHorn-DA1.jpg[/attach]

Attachments

TrypHorn-Setup1.jpg

TrypHorn-DA1.jpg

Your last groboto base mesh is great, lot of fun here and probably a wip.
I also checked how you tuned parameters for exporting. Great help.

A fast drapery also using toroids, groboto seems to be a great tool for draperies. :+1:
[attach=234884]gbchal.jpg[/attach]

Attachments

gbchal.jpg

Great Sculpt – love the simple but effective sfumato lighting.

Would love to learn more about your drapery technique. Best Wishes,
Darrel

Hey thanks. What to learn about drapery? I simply followed your tutorials, how to do masks, thats all. lol Use toroids around a base mesh, use zb move tool and magnifier or inflat then.

I liked your doodles, guys, and I thought I’d try the groboto mesh out with something organic… just to see how it holds up

Would probably still want to retop’ as there are a fair few tris in the generated mesh, but I thought it was magnificent tool to add to our armoury!!!
a 2h rough (someone stop me, I should be working! :wink:

Very nice, I look forward to buying v3 once it’s out
Joe90.jpg

Hey RawSunlight,

Very nice. Great to have you join in here.

Thanks. Yes, we think it’s a unique and powerful Toolbox item.

Fairly soon (v3 Release), the most erratic bits of the mesh will be eliminated (ex. zig-zag ‘stitch’ tris, and most tri-fans). After that, it will get cleaner and more fluid over time. Ultimately we intend to produce a very high quality flowing mesh. We will also add the ability to eliminate unwanted seams (edge loops) and unify patches.

Of course sculpting can – if pushed far enough – lead to the need to re-Topo no matter how clean the basemesh. GroBoto’s ability to automatically mesh complex (even extremely complex), arbitrary morphologies that might take hours (days) to generate manually, is the unique bit… has the potential to fundamentally change the initial stages of 3D design.

OK enough boasting… I should be working too.

Best Wishes,
Darrel

Hi Everyone,

Here’s another new mesh/ZTL . It was derived from the last character, but wit still more structure in the mesh – kind of seeing how far I can go before the mesh gets in the way. In this case I found the new topology (especially around the mouth & eyes), to be quite helpful when sculpting.

Please see the first post in this thread for general info about the files.

You can download & play with the Download the ZTL, OBJ, and/or GroBoto files here. …some other recent free ZTLs are there too.

…Very curious to see how this feels to you.

I spent about 30 min with the mesh in ZB (probably the equivilent of 10 minutes for you guys) – see below… like it enough that I’ll probably continue.

Best Wishes,
Darrel
Kione 3D Jam 4
My CGSociety Folio
GroBoto v3 Beta Site

fezfez-zm.jpg

fezfez-hex2.jpg

Thanks for free mesh, just a quick sculpt.
Look forward to playing around with the rest.fezfan01.jpg

Hi window1,

Thanks for joining in. Please stay tuned for more BoolToons.

Here’s an update of my take on ‘FezFan’.

another quick session – just playing with proportions & refining a few features.

The ears got smudged & mushed by some of the broader moves, will play with them next time around.

Best Wishes,
Darrel
Kione 3D Jam 4
My CGSociety Folio
GroBoto v3 Beta Site

fezfez-TQuad-zm.jpg

fezfez-TQuad.jpg

I thought I would give it a shot…who could resist…:smiley:
Used the last mesh posted…The Move Topological brush in ZBRUSH 4 works great on it…that’s the only one that I used for this first experiment.
Might take it further and refine some things…Always fun to play with new things…:slight_smile:
Thanks for the mesh tool Darrel…:+1: Always interested in what your doing here.:slight_smile:

The GOSSIPERS

GOSSIPERS.jpg

Hey Darrel,

must say I’m enjoying doodling with your meshes… (and of course it’ll be much more fun once I have a copy of my own to knock up shapes with :slight_smile:

another doodle, this time with the trihorn thingie :slight_smile:

Sea Creature Comp.jpg

Hey SpiritDreamer,

Wonderful mood and character to these gentlemen.

Great to have you join in. As you know, I’m likewise interested in your work – and appreciate the breadth & boldness of your explorations. Art as discovery, invention & exploration is a notion to which I believe we both subscribe.

Hi RawSunlight,

Nice-- really like the solid volumes and forms you crafted there. …and Love seeing the mesh taken in a wholly new direction – these really are just ‘blank slates’.

Thanks, my number 1 ambition for GroBoto is that it goes out elicits enjoyable creativity.

Best Wishes,
Darrel