Default Who Can it Be Now..? Challenge

Hi Everyone,

One of the true joys (and extraordinary creative aspects) of ZBrush is that it allows you, the artist to 'see with the medium'... go spelunking around in your head and finding characters, creatures and gadgets you didn't even know were there.

So that's the simple challenge here: Starting with the mesh provided, see who emerges. Each of us will find a different someone.

I'll seed a new challenge each week with a new mesh. Each one representing that weeks 'theme'.

You are also free to use these meshes anywhere & anyway you please. I'd love to see what you do with them, and to hear any feedback. Please post your stuff on this thread, and/or anywhere else.

Zip file contains the ZTL (just the raw OBJ import), plus some special Texture PSDs (see images below, and my main thread for more on the 'seam masking' techniques). I've include a few tips for working with these GroBoto-Generated meshes below.

Best Wishes,
    Darrel
    My ZBrush Sketchbook ThreadKione 3D Jam 4
    My CGSociety Folio
    GroBoto v3 Beta Site

boolToon-Funnel-m.jpg

boolToon-4strip.jpg

BootToon-SeamMask.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	boolToon-Funnel-m.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	11.2 KB 
ID:	234027  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by groBoto; 01-14-11 at 08:55 AM. Reason: New Theme

Senior Member User Gallery

Nice base sculpt.
    Let me do some crits here.
    You don't need these spheres on eyes area. Eyelids could be useful though.
    A more complicated solution on ears is needed. I have some ideas.
    The nose. Nostrils?
    I should post my solution probably. I'll see about it.

Quote Originally Posted by michalis
    Nice base sculpt.
    Let me do some crits here.
    You don't need these spheres on eyes area. Eyelids could be useful though.
    A more complicated solution on ears is needed. I have some ideas.
    The nose. Nostrils?
    I should post my solution probably. I'll see about it.
    Hi michalis,

Thanks.
    Yes I'd love to see what you come up with...

...and thanks for reminding me of something I forgot to mention... those eyeballs are completely optional... not part of the head mesh. Just included them if anyone wanted to go with separated eyeballs.
    Part of the fun here is that one can have as little or as much structure as desired in the GroBoto Model. In this case I really wanted to be minimalist -- the simplest kind of 'toon, highly stylized and very little detail (for me - even when sculpting -- I would keep it very simple).

I did a great deal of work over the last year or two based on more detailed GroBoto models. It was a lot of fun -- although that was before we had subtractive trims or smoothing. I especially liked playing with the highly abstract ones. This is the other extreme (perhaps too much structure -- but again, I did not have the tools I have now)

...so no meshes for these -- just some old files to give an idea of the range of possibilities. No doubt, I build some new, richer, head constructs soon.

There are more from this older series in my CGS Folio (I was doing one every evening for a while)... and it all started about page 3-4 of my Sketch/WIP thread here on ZBC

Best Wishes,
    Darrel
    Kione 3D Jam 4
    My CGSociety Folio
    My ZBrush Sketchbook Thread

GroBoto v3 Beta Site

groBoMen.jpg

OK I'm starting here. No retopology, just the groboto base mesh.
    BPR two lights and the wonderful material of Julian_K.
    gbh.jpg

OK I'm starting here. No retopology, just the groboto base mesh.
    BPR two lights and the wonderful material of Julian_K.
    Wonderful michalis... So far beyond the silly character of the mesh, yet retaining some of its spirit.
    Very Boris Karloff.
    ...thanks for getting the ball rolling.

Best Wishes,
    Darrel
    Last edited by groBoto; 01-14-11 at 08:56 AM.

I couldn't resist and quickly sketch the image that came to my mind when I had a look at the groboto head ( thanks for posting the mesh).

the head is the groboto mesh and I just quickly added a zsphere body mesh.

it's 'somebody' I truly disliked when I was a kid

groboto_kasper_T.jpg

groboto_kasper.jpg

ha ha
    I like this!
    It proofs that topology is the base of sculpture though.
    Our sculpts here have something common.
    This is why I like groboto. Construct a different base topology and have a completely different character.

Quote Originally Posted by Julian_K
    I couldn't resist and quickly sketch the image that came to my mind when I had a look at the groboto head... 'somebody' I truly disliked when I was a kid
    Hi Julian -- love this. Thanks for taking a spin with the mesh. Great expression, clean sculpt.

I'll be posting a new 'BoolToon' head tomorrow, Tuesday (and at least one a week)... hope you find some of them irresistible too.

BTW, this was my take... with my usual excuses of having no time & rusty ZSkills... but it's too true at the moment with GroBoto devouring all of my energy & time.

Best Wishes,
    Darrel

funnelHero960.jpg

Default New BoolToon Head

Hi everyone,

Here's a the new mesh/ZTL for this week. Experimenting with a bit more structure (ex. ears, nostrils).

Please see the first post in this thread for general info about the files.

You can download & play with the Download the ZTL, OBJ, and/or GroBoto files here. ...some other recent free ZTLs are there too.

...Would love to see who/what appears if you give it a shot.

I took one quick swipe at the mesh -- see below. It was actually an earlier version of the mesh (no teeth among other things).

TrypHorn-Setup1.jpg

TrypHorn-DA1.jpg
    Last edited by groBoto; 01-18-11 at 12:12 PM.

Your last groboto base mesh is great, lot of fun here and probably a wip.
    I also checked how you tuned parameters for exporting. Great help.

A fast drapery also using toroids, groboto seems to be a great tool for draperies.
    gbchal.jpg

Your last groboto base mesh is great, lot of fun here and probably a wip.
    I also checked how you tuned parameters for exporting. Great help.

A fast drapery also using toroids, groboto seems to be a great tool for draperies.
    Great Sculpt -- love the simple but effective sfumato lighting.

Would love to learn more about your drapery technique. Best Wishes,
    Darrel

Hey thanks. What to learn about drapery? I simply followed your tutorials, how to do masks, thats all. lol Use toroids around a base mesh, use zb move tool and magnifier or inflat then.

I liked your doodles, guys, and I thought I'd try the groboto mesh out with something organic... just to see how it holds up

Would probably still want to retop' as there are a fair few tris in the generated mesh, but I thought it was magnificent tool to add to our armoury!!!
    a 2h rough (someone stop me, I should be working!

Very nice, I look forward to buying v3 once it's out
    Joe90.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by RawSunlight
    I liked your doodles, guys, and I thought I'd try the groboto mesh out with something organic... just to see how it holds up

Would probably still want to retop' as there are a fair few tris in the generated mesh, but I thought it was magnificent tool to add to our armoury!!!
    a 2h rough (someone stop me, I should be working! ...
    Hey RawSunlight,

Very nice. Great to have you join in here.

Thanks. Yes, we think it's a unique and powerful Toolbox item.

Fairly soon (v3 Release), the most erratic bits of the mesh will be eliminated (ex. zig-zag 'stitch' tris, and most tri-fans). After that, it will get cleaner and more fluid over time. Ultimately we intend to produce a very high quality flowing mesh. We will also add the ability to eliminate unwanted seams (edge loops) and unify patches.

Of course sculpting can -- if pushed far enough -- lead to the need to re-Topo no matter how clean the basemesh. GroBoto's ability to automatically mesh complex (even extremely complex), arbitrary morphologies that might take hours (days) to generate manually, is the unique bit... has the potential to fundamentally change the initial stages of 3D design.

OK enough boasting... I should be working too.

Best Wishes,
    Darrel

Default FezFan

Hi Everyone,

Here's another new mesh/ZTL . It was derived from the last character, but wit still more structure in the mesh -- kind of seeing how far I can go before the mesh gets in the way. In this case I found the new topology (especially around the mouth & eyes), to be quite helpful when sculpting.

Please see the first post in this thread for general info about the files.

You can download & play with the Download the ZTL, OBJ, and/or GroBoto files here. ...some other recent free ZTLs are there too.

...Very curious to see how this feels to you.

I spent about 30 min with the mesh in ZB (probably the equivilent of 10 minutes for you guys) -- see below... like it enough that I'll probably continue.

Best Wishes,
    Darrel
    My ZBrush Sketchbook Thread
    Kione 3D Jam 4
    My CGSociety Folio
    GroBoto v3 Beta Site

fezfez-zm.jpg

fezfez-hex2.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fezfez-zm.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	8.4 KB 
ID:	235316  

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast